+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Who makes LEDs

Who makes LEDs

Who makes LEDs?

Administrator
    I was going to use Rapid LED but they stopped carrying the 660, so now I'm trying the 660
    s from Steves LEDs.

SM: if you find yourself needing a lot of LEDs, email ava (sales@) ledfedy.com, they have the 660nm reds for $1.68 each, which doesn't seem like a good price until you learn they put two emitter chips on each LED assembly. Long story short, you can run these at 700ma no problem, and the efficiency in general is about 10% higher. The only problem is you have to buy qty 100. Although with their new website they may do smaller lots now. They ship DHL and it's not unreasonably high.

Administrator
    Must be an unlisted item, since they only show the 3 watt now. But still I was trying to keep reliability up by staying with Luxeons, at least until a baseline could be found.

Just checked ledfedy.com and you can buy any quantity you wish now.
    Their descriptions look uncertain for me. Both one chip and double chip LEDs are described as 3.2V and 700mA . That simply cant be right in my opinion. One of them have faulty description, but which one ?

Banned
    IME the problem with knock-off LEDs is the crappy stars they put them on. They are not friendly to using thermal pads.

RapidLED dropped Osram and went to Philips for their 660nm LED and they are around $3.50 or $3.25 (price TBD) but if you buy 100+ you can get them for like $3/ea.

IMO that's a game changer. $1 extra per LED and you know you're getting good quality.

But as far as who actually manufactures them, if they are a no-name brand, like FEDY or something off ebay, good luck finding out. From SatisLED the 660s are Epistar chips from Taiwan which are good quality and the 455s are Epiled from Poland and I don't know much about their quality, but they seem to be fine, but the stars is a different issue (helps to use thermal adhesive with these to make us for the non-flat star, or sand them down). Get from Rapid and you know what you're getting is quality.

yeah rapid has some really nice LEDs i have order 3 times from them and very pleased. humm i must of got the last of there osram red just orde rmaybe a week ago and got 4 of them...
    the philips is not one there site yet I hear it will be a week or to.

Banned
    They only have a few and you have to call them. Philips will be in at the end of this week supposedly. I get the first 100 lol

Administrator
    Anyone know where to get pre-wired ones besides rapid and steves?

I think aquastyle has strips of 6 (like a long star board) with wires already soldered on, but only white and blue probably.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information