+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some advise about my ATS

Some advise about my ATS

Hopefully you can help. Ive had mine going since 4/1/12 My system is 300 gal. My screen size is 42x7 , I'm over driving 4 48" 3000K bulbs with an ice cap ballast. And pushing 2400 gph down the screen. Its light on both sides. My screen barely has any algae on it. A couple small splochy areas and towards the top of the bar. I have very nice even flow all the way down the screen. My tank right now has red slime in it and the screen just seems to produce red/brown slime that I can just spray right off. I just started cleaning it twice a week last week trying to keep that slime off of it. I run my ATS light cycle 12 on 12 off right now but was running it 16 on 8 off. Any thoughts?

Thank you

Chad

Administrator
    42 X 7 = 294 square inches = 24.5 cubes of food a day.

How much are you feeding?

Not that much. did I make the screen to big for a 300 gallon?

8 cubes

Banned
    Yeah, way too big. Sizing is based on feeding now, not tank size. 8 cubes/day would be 8x12=96 sq in. Over sizing wil spread the growth out too much

Administrator
    Switch to 24" bulbs, and cut the screen vertically in half.

Banned
    I would actually cut the screen down to 16-18" wide and use 24" lamps. 24" lamps are actually only about 20" of lamp and the last inch of that, the light level drops off dramatically at the screen level because it's only getting light from one direction, and the last inch of screen grows red turf heartily.

Since I already spent hundreds on what I have and my design can I just cut the screen down to 42x3 and I'll pulverize a bunch of dry foods into dust and make up the difference in my feeding? I swore I read on here when I was building this that wider screen was better than longer screen. And don't think for a second I don't appreciate your advise as I do very much. I just blew 700 in equip to build this thing and I need to utilize what I have if I can. Not to mention a whole case of light bulbs for another 150. So if I can cut it down to 42x3 can I get away with only running 2 bulbs 1 on each side?

Thanks

Banned
    If you spent that much, you done it wrong. My ATS cost diddly.

The ATS cost diddy like 50 in acrylic. But the external pump and the lights weren't cheap

Quote Originally Posted by Garf View Post
    If you spent that much, you done it wrong. My ATS cost diddly.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information