+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bubbles...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wopadobop View Post
    Have noticed less of an alk swing with opening up the venturi on my waterfall. But not enough to say for sure that it was that with any certainty. Although according to my tank controller my ph stayed slightly more stable at night. Perhaps better photosynthesis with the bubbles taking up more co2 or maybe less alk swing with more stable ph? /shrug. Hard to say.
    Same here, everything pH, ALK related is rock solid. My bubble screen been going for 8/9 weeks and growing nice thick green, so much so that I have put a split in my screen trying to get it off during cleaning. Maybe I can glue a few patches of new screen on it to stop the split from spreading all the way across the screen.

Wopadobop - when you started putting bubbles on the waterfall, did you see any burning or change in growth, mine did almost immediately and took a few weeks of lower lighting to get acclimatised again. Now my lighting has gone back to guidelines the growth is great. I have a feeling that the bubbles are improving light distribution on the screen through bubble refraction, shooting light off in all different directions to the algae on the screen, as well as co2 delivery.

Apparently, co2 hydration into carbonic acid takes 23 seconds. Therefore any contact by co2 at the waters surface less than 23 seconds should not be able to deliver co2 to the water column. I think that's where the micro bubbles created by the waterfall bubble screen have an advantage over the UAS ( especially if combined with a sump where micro bubbles are not a problem ).
    Micro bubbles can stay in the water for long periods, especially if constantly recirculated over the screen therefore exchanging depleted co2.

Administrator
    I think what's actually happening is that when the dry air touches the algae, some air gets trapped and stays for longer, thus allowing time to make carbonic acid. Or, the algae can get CO2 directly from the air when it passes by.

How do people deal with the salt creep? Wouldn't all these bubbles popping at the surface make it a nightmare?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jason.stephens View Post
    How do people deal with the salt creep? Wouldn't all these bubbles popping at the surface make it a nightmare?
    My ATS Waterfall ( with bubbles ) is placed in the centre of the sump, so when the bubbles burst, all goes back into the water. I dont get any salt creep.

Garf how do you find bubbles with waterfall scrubber. I am thinking of hooking up my skimmer pump to my waterfall to experiment?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by crashmushroom View Post
    Garf how do you find bubbles with waterfall scrubber. I am thinking of hooking up my skimmer pump to my waterfall to experiment?
    Had trouble at the start because screen looked like it was burning directly under the lights. After a couple of days with reduced lighting it went green, then over the next week or so increased the lighting back to nearly 1 watt / inch and it stayed green. Growing great ever since. Hope you do try this because it seems like I'm on my own on this one.

Yeah i will give it a go because i am constantly trying to keep PH and alk up im wondering if this will help. Since UAS is using it it must have benefits. Will let u know.

Your not alone on this. I use a skimmer pump for my waterfall from day one. I did notice the burning when i first opened up the venturi but i was sure it was from the new leds i put on it. reduced to 8 hours a day and everything is fine so far. still not getting crazy 3d growth but it is green and sometimes i forget to feed my fish( i'm still stuck in the feed minimally mind set) so im sure its me and not my build.

as far as salt creep goes. My build has a lid and is clear so I can keep an eye on it. I just squirt some ro/di water in there when ever i feed. I am also afflicted with the widely spread "have to check my screen whenever i walk by" disease. so it gives me a reason to get my fix ! :P

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information