+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wet/Dry to ATS Mod

Wet/Dry to ATS Mod

I'm setting up a new 60G seahorse tank and would like to include an appropriately-sized algae scrubber in the sump. My cabinet for this tank is only 12" wide, which narrows the field of retail sump options, and I don't want to take the time to build my own sump. So I thought it might work to adapt a wet/dry setup. I have Eshopps wet/drys on my goldfish tank and on my current seahorse tank (working toward ditching the bioballs there), and a spare one not in use. I do like the trickle plate design; it's so easy to put a felt filter pad, charcoal, RowaPhos, etc, there. I'm not crazy about the expensive filter socks used with most sumps. I will also have a skimmer and a UV sterilizer on this tank.

I would think that an algae scrubber might work well if set up under the trickle plate of this wet/dry. More of the plastic canvas might be submerged than is traditional, but I can run an airstone under it, so that I would have a combo ATS/UAS.

Has anyone tried setting up an ATS in a wet/dry? Does it sound like a reasonable idea? If I do it, I was thinking of putting the ATS right under the drip plate in the first chamber, then put a refugium with live rock rubble in the second chamber. Considerations include:

CONS

~ The waterfall from a trickle plate might not create a solid sheet of water, thus leaving spots of low growth on the screen. OTOH, once the smaller water streams hit the screen surface, they might coalesce.

~ Trying to do a UAS under an ATS might just disrupt the water flow and cause both to fail.

~ Someone told me on another forum that an ATS and a refugium together would probably just compete with each other.

PROS

~ For me, a wet/dry is a readily available enclosed box with clear sides and a top. The lights (probably LEDs) would be protected from splashing.

~ The wet/dry I have fits in my cabinet.

~ I could set this up in 5 minutes.

I welcome comments and advice! Thanks!

Regards,
    Diane

www.smartsmallfry.com

Administrator
    I've seen this done before, but that was before the UAS was available. How about just doing a regular UAS hang-on-glass version on the front panel of your sump? Or even, in the display.

Thanks for the quick reply, Santa Monica! Was the wet/dry mod you saw successful?

I wouldn't have room in the DT for an algae scrubber (although my current DT decor is doing just that - annoyingly ;-). The sump will only be half full, so I'd probably have to get a bigger one to get enough surface area for a UAS-only design to work there. I'm just thinking it would be nice to use the wet/dry box I have. But if it won't grow enough algae to process nitrites and nitrates, I'll go with the more traditional ATS or UAS. I have a big problem with high nutrients in my current seahorse tank - LOTS of red slime cyano and hair algae. I'm hoping a good scrubber can solve that problem and prevent its occurrence in the new tank.

Administrator
    I don't think they did that well; never heard back.

Problem with a wet/dry box is that the screen is too far from the light.

Just do a UAS screen on the side with the most room. Put a black wall behind it to block light.

I think I could mount an LED light right up against the acrylic wall of the wet/dry box. Then, using suction cups, I could attach the screen inside the box as close to the light as desired. That might only work for a one-sided scrubber, though.

Is there a consensus yet on whether UAS designs are as effective as ATS? Maybe I'll try one of each and see how it goes.

Administrator
    1-sided is better than the wet/dry.

Not a matter of working better or worse; it's about ease of installation.

I see. Thanks for the clarification!

After some more reading, I think I'll forget the wet/dry. I'll get a larger sump and set up a UAS.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information