+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Okay. Conclusion of and comparison of UAS vs. WFATS. Aiming at SM.

Okay. Conclusion of and comparison of UAS vs. WFATS. Aiming at SM.

All will chime in, is expected and certian colaboration is welcome. Since many were in on the pretesting. But I(good for newbies as well) want guidelines like in WFATS.

Okay. I'm liking Rudybops design. Thinking of doing it. I see where you mentioned fitting 140 watts on his 14x16 inch screen lit on one side.

So is 1.5 watts(CFL) per square inch the going wattage for one sided UAS no matter how big?

What if it's double sided?

How big a screen if one sided since it's the easiest to set up?

Are the UAS and WFATS screen size the same based on cubes per day?

Have you concluded that UAS is better at filtering than WFATS?

Are larger or fine bubbles better or no difference?

If LED. What's the current best layout and wattage?

Have I covered the basics?

I saw some neat looking clear cylinders I thought I could slide a reflector(beer/soda can style) in and drop a CFL into and have it inside the sump to light other side. Could leave top open since it will extend out of water to vent heat. Just an idea.

Administrator
    Watts are same as with waterfall. If LED, try half as much.

Bigger bubbles are probably better, but are noisier.

Thanks for liking my design... The screen is 10x14 .... The complete unit is 14H x 16W....

CFL lights for screen

UAS screen 10(multiply by)14=140 watts one sided = 1watt per square inch one side

WFATS Screen 10(multiply by)14=140 watts ---- 70 watts on each side = 1/2 watt per square inch on each side.

Now I lost 1" of screen with my bubble light guard (suggested by MorganAtlanta) so the SCREEN is 9x14=126watts ---- I have 138watts = to 1.09 watts per square inch UAS one sided.

I think that's right.

Banned
    There are years of 'data' available on waterfall designs and thousands of builds. There much less UAS builds and for a much shorter time to draw any comparisons/conclusions IMO.

I would say that all of the rules for sizing, wattage, etc are equally applicable to both versions. No one to my knowledge has "pushed" a UAS to the edge like the waterfall scrubbers have been.

Well they're going on two months now. Maybe longer counting the secret forum you guys had going. I figure majority of you. Including you Floyd, just flooded their waterfall ATS and added an airstone. Some of you are constantly tinkering and changing things. I can't keep up. So I'm guessing some have settled for a design and are running with it. SM is already selling one of his versions. So.....

I am pretty content with waterfall. To me it's not that difficult to maintain. Quiet, fed from overflow, Two 23 watt bulbs and done.

Ruddbop is going to think I'm a stalker. But I really am favoring his design for ease and just reusing what I own to build it. And SMs first line in his post and your post of "I would say that all of the rules for sizing, wattage, etc are equally applicable to both versions" makes me feel more confident/willing in doing it. Like they say. If it aint broke . Don't fix it. But if all I'm going to do is sink it and throw an airstone under it. Then I'll play.

Also I see it seems by reasons to build it is that it's just easier to do. I was going to copy and post but I don't want to search for where I've read that.

I have plans. Need a sump for my new tank and I've seen some neat acrylic boxes on Ebay for reasonally cheap. Check these out. Take out the insert, make some openings top and bottom and wallaa.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120790594012...84.m1423.l2649

Quote Originally Posted by sklywag View Post
    Ruddbop is going to think I'm a stalker.
    Looks over his shoulder .....

Quote Originally Posted by sklywag View Post

Also I see it seems by reasons to build it is that it's just easier to do. I was going to copy and post but I don't want to search for where I've read that.

I have plans. Need a sump for my new tank and I've seen some neat acrylic boxes on Ebay for reasonally cheap. Check these out. Take out the insert, make some openings top and bottom and wallaa.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120790594012...84.m1423.l2649
    Just the right size. Just slide the tray out to clean the screen. Just $20 with free shipping. Very cool.

Bummer. I asked a question about what the black material was:

The black portion is wood covered in faux leather nd the clear portion is
    acrylic.

Thank you

----- Original Message -----
    Is the black part of the case and tray acrylic/plastic or some other
    material?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information