+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Ruddybop's 2nd UAS Inspired By Kerry... :)

Quote Originally Posted by ruddybop View Post
    Kerry made a great suggestion also and it has room for a small led set up on the back between the tank and the filter. I think he said there is 1 1/4" between the filter and tank....

I have this on a 10G tank so I only need one side for the amount of feeding I do.

Thanks for the suggestion though. A reflective coating would work for a little bit until the algae grew and blocked the light...
    I was wondering if the side of the filter had to be cleaned after a while?

Quote Originally Posted by traxiii View Post
    I was wondering if the side of the filter had to be cleaned after a while?
    Yes the algae grows on the inside of the clear plastic. I just take a paper towel and wipe it off every now and then....

I hit mine with a tooth brush ever couple to few days as it wants to grow algae on the lighted sides as well as the other sides too.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

Started up my S20 Up-flow conversion this morning. I'm using two 12" Stunner LEDs I had for my Display tank, one white and one magenta on opposite sides. I used some white plastic for temporary reflectors. All else is proven stuff, the plastic canvas from Jo Ann's an old air pump and 10" long air "stone" and 2" wide blue painters tape holding it all together. I know it's only 12 watts of LED lighting, but if it works, I'll be making something more permanent out of acrylic. It draws water out of the sump after the fluidized H1 media, and dumps it into the return pump, sump area. Only looking to keep the nitrates down in the display tanks, and maybe use a little less water.

I think I'm going to get a Santa Monica .5 for my 29g to do the same thing. Heck it might handle the entire filter duties as I only have 2 angels, a guppy, a sword, 4 dwarf loaches, and 5 baby BNP.

Quote Originally Posted by traxiii View Post
    Started up my S20 Up-flow conversion this morning. I'm using two 12" Stunner LEDs I had for my Display tank, one white and one magenta on opposite sides. I used some white plastic for temporary reflectors. All else is proven stuff, the plastic canvas from Jo Ann's an old air pump and 10" long air "stone" and 2" wide blue painters tape holding it all together. I know it's only 12 watts of LED lighting, but if it works, I'll be making something more permanent out of acrylic. It draws water out of the sump after the fluidized H1 media, and dumps it into the return pump, sump area. Only looking to keep the nitrates down in the display tanks, and maybe use a little less water.

I think I'm going to get a Santa Monica .5 for my 29g to do the same thing. Heck it might handle the entire filter duties as I only have 2 angels, a guppy, a sword, 4 dwarf loaches, and 5 baby BNP.
    Cool.... You will have to start a new thread of your project....

So I haven't posted on this project in a while... Fresh Water 10Gallon 3 1/2" x 7" screen / one 23watt cfl with mirror/reflectors..

Every time I check Nitrates they are still around 20ppm... So it's been about 3 months at 20 with no water changes just adding water. All other water test are good..

Question::: If it stays at 20ppm then the algae scrubber is stable keeping the water Nitrate down.

If I do some partial water changes to drop the nitrate down the scrubber should keep the Nitrate down with a lower ppm.. (I think)

Do ya think I should try this? Or will it go back up in time to 20ppm after I get it lowered with water change?

I think it would creep back up IMO. You could bump up the hours of light and see if that helps. I think a steady 20 is AWESOME!!!! Good job on that FW success!!!!
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

Administrator
    It will creep back up to an equilibrium point.

Thanks SM & Kerry ... I will try more/longer light and see what happens....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information