+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Bobba's UAS HOG.5

Cleaning day! Cleaned the HOG.5 today and took a few pics. Took about 10 minutes with a toothbrush. Did notice that the little magnets are rusting. Any solution to that? Tank looks better than ever and now I think I can focus on adding a few more corals and 1 more fish. Very happy so far!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0369.jpg‎
Views:	303
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	2903   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0370.jpg‎
Views:	287
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	2904  

Administrator
    Well at least the algae is getting a supply of Iron from the magnets Maybe the black epoxy was scratched; you can always just put some silicone, or even super glue, gel over it.

That's a good bit of gha for a first harvest; should get even better.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobba View Post
    Did notice that the little magnets are rusting. Any solution to that?
    Neodymium magnets should not be exposed to saltwater, they can leech toxic metals. So this is a problem.

Sealing them up with silicone is fine, but keep in mind that the same rules apply for silicone, in general that means use a reef-safe silicone like all-glass or marineland, or RTV-108 and let it cure for 2 weeks.

Some say you can use standard 5-minute epoxy which might be a better option, but still you would want to let it dry for 24 hours, longer if you can. This of course is a problem with the screen attached to the tray.

Administrator
    If so, fortunately algae consumes toxic metals. However, in my readings, many people have used these magnets to plant frags, and even if they rusted the frags grew right over them :O

Just an honest little update here. I have become quite frustrated with my HOG.5 for the following reasons. First is the little magnets. I have attempted to reattach 5 of the magnets that have fallen off. I have scraped all residue, cleaned with IPA and reattached with superglue and they still keep falling off! Also after scraping away the rusty corrosion the magnets appear to be made of copper (at least it looks like copper). The other issue is that I have spent hours trying to adjust the position of the slits in the tubing and cannot get the bubbles to come out evenly. I know the scrubber is not performing well because I amm not seeing any growth. Any suggestions?

Administrator
    Well the magnet issue is resolved; epoxy is being used now and is as strong as the cover itself. And of course the epoxy covers the underlying copper and zinc coatings. So just brush some 5-minute epoxy over it and it should be fine.

The bubble do not have to be even. They will vary anyway when they route around growth. You can see in my video that I only have 2 bubble streams operating when I clean it. But if you have enough airflow, then just tilting the unit should do it. Otherwise I need a video.

Bobba, thanks for your frequent updates. My buddy and I just orderd the HOG.5 and hope to receive them next week. I have a 210 and will probably need a second scrubber in time but want to get one up and running. I am only feeding a 1/2 cube a day so one should be fine.

SM - I currently have a sump with a refugium. Should I get rid of my refuguim completely and should I also remove any socks/filters that I currently have running in my sump?

I will post pics once I get my HOG.5. I can't wait. Have a good weekend all.

Administrator
    You should remove any macros from the fuge. Sock too. The smoother you make the sump, the less particles will get stuck and rot there.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread Information