+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Bobba's UAS HOG.5

call me a slow leak....but where did you purchase the premade model? santa monica himself?

Banned

Oh ok, I was just curious. My leds from led-dna just came today now im just trying to find a wall wart that'll work.

Just a little update. Took a peek at my screen today and nothing on it. I really don't even see the hair algae mush that I seeded it with on Sunday. Patience is not my strong suite! Good news is algae on the rocks does not seem to be getting worse since I removed the GFO.

Administrator
    All seeded algae should be washed off; you should not see anything. Only spores remain.

Will be at least 4 days before you see any growth. You'll need to use a white light to look at the screen.

I suppose the bubble action washed away the little bit I smeared into the screen. I did use a flashlight to check it. Upon closer inspection the screen may have a very slight greenish cast at the bottom near where it's epoxied. Nitrates read 0 on an API test (ordering Salifert test) and .015 phosphates on a Hanna 736 so I probably should not expect rapid growth.

Still nothing on the screen but I read on another post that the HA on the rocks can outcompete the scrubber if you have low nitrate/phosphate levels in the water. Maybe good idea to scrub the rocks (outside of tank and rinse well) again. Also, would decreasing DT's photoperiod help kickstart the scrubber?

You could do a H2o2 treatment on the rocks, that would kill the algae.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

Also was getting alot of gurgling noise and splashing from the little vent hole so I took a short length of plastic straw and attached a short piece of airline tubing to it. Stuck the straw end in the hole and the tubing just hangs over water surface. Much quieter and just drips instead of sprays. Looks stupid but is fine for now. Any other owners out there yet?

Hi Kerry! I did the peroxide treatment twice before and it did kill the HA but it comes right back. I think the dead/dying algae just fuels growth again. I also wondered about its effect on the beneficial bacterial population?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information