+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: high po4

high po4

currently im having high po4 most likely due to rocks leaching it. i run gfo to keep it down. i run 2 7x7 screen with 2x23w CFL each screen. is there a better way to remove the excess po4? also can you do carbon dosing such as MB7 , Vin/Vodka or Bio-pellets with ATS only and no skimmer?

Easiest way is GFO.

Administrator
    If you can measure P, then your scrubber is not growing enough.

Banned
    Gmoney - got a recent pic of your screen for us to look at ?

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
    If you can measure P, then your scrubber is not growing enough.
    what should i do? add more bulbs?

Administrator
    Stronger light, to get greener. The dark growth you have now is killing the bottom layers.

I am researching the 4 halogens of salt water. I have a theory that slimy growth over healthy green growth maybe due to a limitation on one or more of the 4 oxidizers and adding more light could make things worse. And that if one could correct the balance, the slimy growth would go away. Even been thinking of dosing small amounts of tap which is known to have bromine, fluoride etc. All just theory and I still have a lot more to learn...

But as to the high PO4 I can say I have direct experience here, most likely your nitrate limited, photosynthesis uses N's to P's about 15 to 1, to make matters worse our food we feed has an "unnatural" amount of P's due to preservation... see the issue? Run GFO to correct the imbalance... I will post pics of my tank and what I went through... it wasn't pretty...

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/...rticles-26537/

Synthetic brominated compounds have been shown to inhibit the growth of unicellular algae (Walsh et al. 1987), so it is tempting to suggest that some of the brominated compounds made by algae are to either deter predators or to help the algae win battles for space against other algae. Paul et al. (1993) and Lumbang and Paul (1996) observed a brominated sesquiterpene produced by a calcareous tropical green algae to have feeding-deterrent properties.

Administrator
    Nothing wrong with slime; it exports too.

photosynthesis uses N's to P's about 15 to 1, to make matters worse our food we feed has an "unnatural" amount of P's due to preservation
    Doesn't matter; it self-corrects via the organism's adaptation and the fact that most N and P come from pee and poop which is the same "balance".

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread Information