+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LED Retrofit to existing SM ATS

Administrator
    You could do that, but Alibaba is not a place to buy them. Just make sure the wattage is about the same as the T5's.

Cheers again for the info and heads up.
    Addition question I have managed to find a company here in the UK who can supply everything I require for an water proof LED strip so they have hinted to me.
    So the length would be 550mm long to suit the lighting fixture of the SM 100.
    But can only supply in all Red 660nm strip, and All Blue 435nm (not 100% sure on value of Blue)
    would it be possible to run 4 strips, red then blue then red then blue or would not work! Or To much? Or Not enough?
    Then can also supply in a 8 colour changing strip with remote so I can possible chane from red and blue only on set times. Ie sunrise sunset between the 2 colours and set the require time transitions.
    Again all comments most welcome. I can post links and if required the response email to my initial enquiry to them.
    Kind regards Tommy
    Or 3 strips red then blue then red

Administrator
    I do not know if you need blue. But all-red will work. At least 50 watts for each side.

Agains thanks for reply!
    Ok thought that I had read something that introducing an amount of blue increased the algae growth. And do the grow lights not have a blue led repeat with the lighting arrangement?
    If you say all red is fine that good enough for me!
    On your other point, you said a 50watt on each side ie total of 100watts.
    Forgive me if I have got this wrong, I know the led show an increase in yield of the growth which is the most important factor, but are we not trying to reduce heat transfer and reduce electricity usage also?
    At present I use the warm white T5 which are 14watts per tube giving a total of 56watts per hr. For all 4 tubes x 18hrs per day running.
    To have 50watts of LED per side would be 100watts in total x 18hrs means a doubling of electricity consumption.
    Would it not be better to leave unit as is with the T5 tubes.
    I am aware of the life cycle if the LED being in the range of 50000hrs so taking this into account not replace tubes every couple of month but this would still possibly be cheaper.
    If I have picked it up wrong would be grateful of an explanation.
    Look forward to feedback to above and again many thanks learning each day!
    Kind regards Tommy

Administrator
    50 LED watts each side is for 9 hours per day.

25 LED watts each side is for 18 hours per day.

Blue does not help much. You can try a little blue if you want.

Cheers Bryan, thanks for the additional information!
    So basically I am reducing running time by half using 50watts and keeping it the same with on 25watts each side.
    Do you have a preferred option ie is it better one way or the othe for growth yeild?
    And i will be reducing my change out of T5 bulbs, increasing my algea growth, and all RED led's as long as they are 660nm. Am I following so far?
    Is there a preferred wattage per LED? And am I looking for a single light or double light or triple light emitting LED? I take it a single source one would be better? Hope the last question made sense?
    Kind Regards Tommy
    Look forward to hearing from you on the above.

Administrator
    No other recommendations other than what I already said.

Thanks again for all your help, very much appreciated.
    Kind regards Tommy

Hi all, just an update have managed to get someone to make me a unit he can make them to the required length of 21" so it fits into the existing lighting t5 shell.
    Now at this length he tells me that it would give probably a total output per side of 42watts so x2 giving 84watts.
    But can make this higher.
    Question for SM you suggested that a 50watt per side and can run for 9hrs per day.
    So should I see if he can increase to 50 or just over or leave at the 42watts per side and increase the lighting running period time?
    I look forward to hearing back from you on the above.
    As always many thanks and kind regards Tommy

Administrator
    42 is fine.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information