+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Ongoing scrubber issues

Thanks SM.

My flow was cut off this week. I found a dead snail and it's shell stuck inside the propeller shaft. I cleaned it out and there is much more flow. I'll put pictures up in 7 days and check in again.

so is dark growth ALWAYS caused by to little light? or can it be caused by enought light BUT to much food????

Banned
    They are inter-related. If you take a given amount of light, you can provide enough food for it to grow green, too much food and it will grow darker, too little food and it will turn yellow.

So if you increase your on-average feeding to well beyond the amount of algae that can grow given the amount of light provided, it will likely grow darker.

It's not quite as simple as that, but that's the general idea. Intensity and duration of light in conjunction with feeding will correlate to growth type and rate. "Enough light" is rather subjective because it depends on the type of light, proximity, intensity, duration, etc. Hope you are now thoroughly confused. LOL

Well another week has passed and here are the results with increased flow:

Looks worse than last week. I am going to try to reduce the intensity of the lights by putting a blank plastic canvas in front of the algae screen and see what happens this week. If that experiment doesn't work out then I'll be reducing lighting time.

Very similar to what I grow . Interesting what are those bubbles ? I have them as well. Like kind of gas is taped inside algae tissue.

I feel like I grow a better green when the flow is not so powerful. Could there be too many nutrients delivered to the screen that's causing the dark growth?

Kotlec- I usually get these bubbles around the 6th day. Not sure what the algae gives off or if it's from the water.

Banned
    That would make sense. If brown grows as a result of too high of nutrients compared to the amount of light provided, and water flow is providing these nutrients, then it would make sense that too much flow would do this. The solution would then be lower the flow or increase the light intensity. Interesting, never thought about that.

I just swapped out my MJ600 for an MJ400 last night so we will see if the slight decrease in flow (nutrients) will result in a better outcome in 7-10 days.

I will keep you all posted.

I always read about how green or how brown your screens are. The bottom line is how are the parameter of your display tank, not the scrubber. Just my two cents. I thought that any type of algae will filter your water. So I see that this site is really concentrated on how green the screen is but the real true is how is the display doing.
    You worry about how much to feed the screen and not the tank. Don't get me wrong I use only a scrubber in my tank and has been from the early 90's.

Banned
    +1 that is what matters

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information