+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Ongoing scrubber issues

Well I do believe achieving green growth goes hand in hand with the quality of the water and the tank in general :-) That is why we are all here. Obviously, my tank parameters are not acceptable with the growth I am currently getting. If I was happy with my tank I would not be here. I have a brown dusting on the sand and my glass is covered in green dust in just a day.

I didn't mean to come off if I was attacking you, Your tank look great from the pictures, to me the screen will turn green after it goes threw the brown stage like cycling your tank for the first time. My screen took months before it started to go green but my water was 0 nitrate, 0 phosphate and I just let it go, and all of a sudden it started turning green. Sometimes it has different types of algae on it. I should have started a new tread about the important of green algae to ofter algae. I know that we all want green algae to grow on the screen, but that is not going to be the case ever time.

Banned
    Have you tried cleaning the screen a lot more than advised, then increasing the length between cleans gradually.These trapped bubbles would indicate a lack of flow through the mat. When flow is restricted the pH of the trapped solution may increase to an alarming rate, doing major harm to the algae. These bubbles are an oxygen by product of photosynthesis in itself not bad, but they should be getting washed out of the mat. Reducing the cleaning period may encourage healthier growth which then doesn't start the cycle of sticky growth, increased pH, death, more horrible growth, etc etc. I would however point out that this remedy has not been tested and is the result of a personal fixation I have with algal mat pH at the moment. Just trying to help.

Banned
    When I was getting thick 3D growth, I was getting very large bubbles, and in some cases, pockets of air that were inches long. That was when my screen was 20x7 though...never thought of it as a big problem.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
    When I was getting thick 3D growth, I was getting very large bubbles, and in some cases, pockets of air that were inches long. That was when my screen was 20x7 though...never thought of it as a big problem.
    I doubt the problem ( if there is one ) would show itself on a healthy screen capable of good green growth. I would be a bit concerned about what compounds were being released into the water though. Is this the screen with "clamping corals" I read about a while back ? With regard to the screen pics earlier, these do not look "healthy" to me, although the tank attached to the scrubber is doing well it could probably do better, with a healthy screen. Like I said earlier ( sort of ), just putting a few ideas out there for people to mull over.

Thanks Garf! You're experience with the bubbles may help. I will try cleaning sooner and then gradually let it go.

As far as livestock and corals everything is doing great. Like I previously said, just looking to get this healthy green algae going in order to relieve myself of cleaning my green glass everyday. Lately there has been a brown dusting on the sand. Cyano used to be a huge problem for me in the past.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WannaRace View Post
    Thanks Garf! You're experience with the bubbles may help. I will try cleaning sooner and then gradually let it go.

As far as livestock and corals everything is doing great. Like I previously said, just looking to get this healthy green algae going in order to relieve myself of cleaning my green glass everyday. Lately there has been a brown dusting on the sand. Cyano used to be a huge problem for me in the past.
    Lets hope it works like it should. The light penetration to the lower layers must be rediculously low causing a double problem. Keep us posted.

Administrator
    Compounds: Vitamins, carbs, proteins, amino acids

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
    Compounds: Vitamins, carbs, proteins, amino acids
    Cyano and diatom food ?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Garf View Post
    I doubt the problem ( if there is one ) would show itself on a healthy screen capable of good green growth. I would be a bit concerned about what compounds were being released into the water though. Is this the screen with "clamping corals" I read about a while back ? With regard to the screen pics earlier, these do not look "healthy" to me, although the tank attached to the scrubber is doing well it could probably do better, with a healthy screen. Like I said earlier ( sort of ), just putting a few ideas out there for people to mull over.
    Yes, you are correct, there were some corals that didn't seem to like the system, namely frogspawn, branching hammers, and ORA green birdsnest. However Green Digis do great, as well as zoas. And anthelia & xenia, unfortunately.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information