+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 20 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Ongoing scrubber issues

Ongoing scrubber issues

Hi all!

I'm new to the site but I've been lurking as a guest for quite some time! I'm also on other forums that SantaMonica posts on so I'm very familiar with algae scrubbers.

I've had my WAS built for roughly 7 months now (EEK)...the only green growth I see is tiny little specks all over the screen. Eventually, this gets covered by what looks to be red turf algae and lots of brown algae. I scrape off everything, only revealing the green specks, and then this gets covered with red turf and brown all over again.

3 x 4 screen with 11 watt spotlight CFL on each side. I've tried all different types of hours and distances from screen. It is cleaned every 7 days. I've tried going 14 days only to see the growth get darker. Lately I have been feeding more to see what results this brings.

I am gathering day by day pictures to show the progress but this has been going on for several months. I was happy with it because SM says that even brown algae filters, just not as effectively. I'd like to reach the max potential of the scrubber as I absolutely love the benefits I'm seeing right now.

Bump up to the 23 watt bulbs and run it half as long or so. Brown does filter as SM says, mine grows brown-ish when I feed less. How are your nutrient readings? Pics would help to.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

I was afraid to go to 23 watts thinking that it just about quadruples the recommended amount of light. As far as nutrient levels, what specifically are you asking? Everything I have tested for, aside from phosphates which are unknown, have tested zero. But at the same time I have a cyano problem that may be masking these numbers. I am working on pics, I will post them in a week after a complete growth cycle.

Administrator
    Double wattage, not quadruple.

And if it works, you can cut hours down to 9 per day, which will allow the bulbs to last twice as long.

The stronger light allows the algae to "pull" the nutrients out of the water in a stronger fashion.

Well what I meant was a 3 x 4 screen requires a total of 12 watts, 6 per side correct? I have 11 watts per side, 22 watts total. Essentially, with 23 per side, 46 total, I am quadrupling the original amount needed for 18 hours on, right?

Banned
    It will work a million times better.. i would start at 9hrs and see.

I had to really over power my light to get a good green growth (88 watts on a 6x6, 44 each side), if two 11 watt bulbs are only making brown algae they you might want to try 23 watt bulbs as this is only double what you have now. You might have to lessen the hours though to around 9 hours.
    I only say this because its been seven months with only brown growth, its time to step it up to the next level.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    75G. 20+ Africans
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.

Does it matter if it's a par38 or r30 flood light? As long as it is 23 watts? I went with the par38 as the lens is clear in front rather than frosted.

I would have chosen the clear as well.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    75G. 20+ Africans
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.

I cleaned the screen off today and installed the 23 watt bulbs. I will keep updating with screen pictures to see if it gets good growth this week. Kind of excited

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information