+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920

Thread: Ongoing scrubber issues

Quote Originally Posted by WannaRace View Post
    Wahooooo! Greening up in the first ten days! Cleaned the screen by just rubbing my thumbs across it under water. I can't wait to see what the next 7 days brings!

This does beg to question the sizing guidelines, however. Maybe the current requirements work in freshwater but may be different in saltwater? I'm finding that 23 watts is a minimum requirement regardless of screen size.

I should have asked you guys for help 6 months ago! :-)
    Was this with 23w bulbs?
    I currently have the same problem as you described in your first post and im running 2 12w bulbs on both sides of the screen..

Yes, at that time I switched to 23 watt bulbs. But after first cleaning, the growth completely stopped.

Where are you feeding the screen from, specifically?

From my overflow, i should have enough flow per the guidelines.

Well the algae was starting to hang from the bottom of the screen and I didn't want to let it fall off into the water. Plus, looks like the bottom layers were dead anyway. But here are my results for one week! The algae appears a little dark with the diffusers in place, so I've removed them for this next two weeks so well see where this goes. Most algae I've ever scraped off the screen.

Banned
    Great turn around. I can't really see how the position of the pump would make a difference though. Have you altered anything else, or done anything different in your tank ? Have you changed tank water parameters for example ?

I've been doing 15% weekly water changes for the past 3 weeks only. Nothing else changed beside pump location. But I'll tell you why I think that made the difference.

The pump intake was less than an inch from the top water line in a secluded chamber in the sump. The screen effluent drained right back to the pump intake, recycling the water that was just stripped of nutrients.

Now, the pump is on the sump floor in the first chamber where the overflow drains to. Thus getting new water to turn over. Then, the pvc drains over the second chamber to dispose of the water in another location.

Makes sense to me that the scrubber is seeing a lot more nutrients and new water.

Been busy with Spring here. Doing house work, prepping my race car for this season, etc.

I managed to forget about my screen cleanings for probably about 3 weeks, maybe 4. Here's what I came to find and it was actually pleasantly surprising.

FTS

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information