125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

jnad DAS scrubber uppdate

Hello!

Just have come back from my trip so i have not managed to make an video of the growth, but i will post a video of the growth tomorrow.

But i do have some pictures and video that show that i also testing a new screen setup with this scrubber.

The idea of the ”downflow algaescrubber” does grow algae, it is just another way to feed the screen with air and water flow. But this new screen setup is what i am really interested to test out.

As you can see on the pictures and the video the screen is placed in line with the light. The idea with this screen setup is that the screen hopefully would bee two sided with an effective use of reflecktors and just one light source.

This screen setup will also ”if it works” possible to change the screen size some by remowing or add screen ”modules”. And it will be possible to make very small scrubbers.

The screen size in my small test DAS scrubber is : 1,37inch x 4,7inch x 4 screens = 25 square inches. Yes i know, the screen size is waaay to big, but i was not sure how to calculate screen size with this setup, and i am going to reduce the screen to 12 square inches tomorrow. I do think with the use of good reflectors and proper light setup, this scrubber will be working as two sided only with one light source.

Here are the pictures, as you can see there is 4 screens in the scrubber. There is 5 holes in the spraybar that blows air and water in between the screens.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	090.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	2941Click image for larger version

Name:	089.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	2942Click image for larger version

Name:	087.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	2943Click image for larger version

Name:	086.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	2944

This video is taken the day the scrubber was started, Sunday the 8-july
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AgPAV84AJM&feature=plcp

This video i have made a lid on the scrubber, Monday the 9-july
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPh5otmpi9c&feature=plcp

I will be posting growth video tomorrow or day after.

jnad

Administrator
    If you look back at the waterfall designs, you'll see several multiple screens stacked like this, with lights on the sides.

I take a look at them, did they work?
    Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
    If you look back at the waterfall designs, you'll see several multiple screens stacked like this, with lights on the sides.

Administrator
    Not as well... nobody kept them.

Interesting. following along.

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
    Not as well... nobody kept them.
    I thing problem is in angle that light is falling on the screen. It is parallel to screen surface , when we want the opposite.

Yes i agree, the angle with light going parallell to the screen is probably not the best. I am not saying that my idea of screen setup is better than the regular setup with the light pointing directly on the flat side of screen, but i like to test new things. There is a couple of differences with my scrubber compared with the earlier ones with this kind of screen setup though. My scrubber is very small, with god reflectors in all directions and the screen modules is only 1,37 inches wide. It will be interesting to see how it grows, of course the growth will be most close to the light, but it looks like it fills in. Difficult to see, i will post growth uppdate tomorrow.

Jnad

Hello!

It is still summer holiday here and i have not had time enough to clean the scrubber and take pictures of the growth as i intended to do. But i have made a short video of the growth when scrubber is running in the tank, it is maybe difficult to see, but it wil give an impression.

I dont now about the new screen setup, but i think the idea with the powerhead and the spraybar work.

I will clean the screen tomorrow, and take som pictures of the growth then.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=SOx-TOEsncw

Jnad

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information