+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Dinoflagellates.

Banned
    I never touch the sandbed if at all possible in any tanks I maintain, even FO/FOWLR.

I do not disturb the substrate however, I do have a Yellow watchman that digs a little and a Tomato Clown that clears out around this flower pot coral when it falls back in. They both have had the same home for a very long time so its always the same substrate getting moved.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

Banned
    Thanks for your replies everyone - I am working on a theory and your answers seem to be complying, BUT Floyd are you saying you get no dino's or cyano in your display and you only get it in the scrubber? Your answer may well shoot my theory down in flames, so be gentle.

Sounduser - do you mess with your sand?

Banned
    I never get cyano on the scrubber and for a while there I was getting smelly dinos on the scrubber, but that passed as the contents 'settled in' to the new tank after I moved everything. The smell subsided substantially but there was still the occasional brown slime coating on top of the yellow/caramel growth (oversized scrubber syndrome).

I have a little cyano in one corner that came in from one brown star polyp rock, but I'm going to let the scrubber take care of it also.

Also I have not done a water change on the tank

Banned
    Sorry for all the questions Floyd but I am in one of them moods. Do you think the bacterial immaturity of your scrubber could have induced your dino's outbreak? By now you have probably worked out my theory!

My screen never gets anything but the typical algae growth. The only problem is the DT. Also this tank has been up for more then a year. This stuff is recent and happened after I put LED's on it. I would get a glimpse of this stuff before but barely noticeable and only for a day or two at most.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

Banned
    I think yes on the immaturity of the scrubber and I say that because in the tank I maintain, I have used the plastic canvas in other areas, like non-trapping filter screens at baffles before pumps, etc and the seem to grow dinos and brown gooey algae like nuts. So the initial dino growth on my UAS I would say is attributed to that, but once the green took over the dinos went away pretty much. There still might be a little clump or two but it nevers seems to spread anywhere.

If you have dinos, that generally means there's something wrong with the scrubber - not pulling down enough nutrients fast enough. I recently replaced the big scrubber with one of my L2s and after the first week, zero sign of dark slimy algae on the screen. We'll see how the next month goes.

I had this issue as well. I will tell you what I did to cure it.

wait until scrubber is at max growth(you will see why in a second)

go 3 days of darkness in dt. wrap a black trash bag over the 3 sides of glass if you have to .

feed only what your fish need. were talking like 1 pinch of pellets here.

without the light the dinos and (cyanobacteria in my case) will wither and die or at least be consumed by a clean up crew and the scrubber should be able to keep up with it. (this is why i say wait till it is at max growth)

I would almost recommend this as a step for any new scrubber being placed in a gha or cyano loaded tank. Basically all that messy crap migrates and begins to grow on the scrubber.
    and can be harvested out at next cleaning.

A quick question. What are your nitrates at? dinos love that stuff. I still do water changes, even with a scrubber its just good tank husbandry. 5 gallons on a 75 once a week is pretty small but I feel it's still enough to introduce some trace elements and ions .

make sure to reacclimate your corals to lights when you go back to normal light cycle.

I did this about 2 weeks ago give or take a day or two. And have not had dinos, algae, cyano return in the slightest. dt is almost sterile looking it is so clean.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information