+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Dinoflagellates.

Back to my problem Ive tested the water, My Nitrate is less than 0.25 and my Phosphate is less than 0.03
    I think I just need to keep feeding the same food and wait for the dyno to burn itself out on the screen.

If you could buy marine nitrate, Id give it a crack at dosing it. Just to see if this would get the green back on the scrubber.

Quote Originally Posted by kerry View Post
    It takes me 3 days to dose 150ml. So yes, dosing 45ml a day is nothing I have not been doing. I add a gallon of kalk every day and each gallon has 50ml WHITE vinegar in it. Some days I add two gallons if the scrubber is soaking up the bi-carb so thats 100ml a day. Maybe I use more vinegar then others when making my kalk???? How much vinegar do you use per gallon?
    a teaspoon in 4 cups water. then add 1 teaspoon kalk and stir it into a 5 gallon top off container. its basically just using the acid in the vinegar to dissolve more of the kalk. I could definately use more. yours sounds about right actually I was just never brave enough to do that much.

Quote Originally Posted by SoundUser View Post
    Back to my problem Ive tested the water, My Nitrate is less than 0.25 and my Phosphate is less than 0.03
    I think I just need to keep feeding the same food and wait for the dyno to burn itself out on the screen.

If you could buy marine nitrate, Id give it a crack at dosing it. Just to see if this would get the green back on the scrubber.
    you could dose iron. kent marine has an iron additive with manganese for macro algae. that might work. or you could just do a water change to get some back in the system.Feeding should give you enough nitrate and phos in equal amounts. you could always use shrimp to increase nitrates with low p04 addition. youve got options thats for sure.

Banned
    Apparently saltwater acclimatised black mollies eat dino's, diatoms and cyano. Anyone tried this ?

Nope. But ill give you some mollies if you like. My mate cant give them away. hahaha

I see mine eat algae when I clean the HOB UAS inside portion because a little bits are left over but I dont see them eat cyano.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

Banned
    G.A.R.F. Wouldn't have put this on unless its true I suppose;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFCAT...e_gdata_player

Looks like a great way to transform troublesome pests into scrubber food !!!

I have seen videos and heard info like this but cant get mine to eat anything but green algae.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    75G. 20+ Africans
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.

Kerry sorry if this is silly but im just starting on kalkwasser as you know. You are dosing a gallon a day or sometimes 2 depending on your scrubber using bi-carb. So i know kalk raises alk and ca but if your scrubber is using bi-carb (alk) and you are dosing kalk to compensate wont ca get higher in relation to alk?

Yes, the Ca can get higher and when that happens I don't use the vinegar. Like right now the Ca is 600 so this batch I made is without vinegar. If this does not bring it down I will then just dose with baking soda on the next batch. I have been not letting my scrubber growth get 6" past the screen lately so the bi-carb demand is not as heavy now. One gallon a day in my 40G is usually enough to keep the KH at about 8-9. I use this to calculate the baking soda amount: http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html . In my 40G is only one teaspoon per gallon to raise KH one point.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    75G. 20+ Africans
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information