+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Freshwater Scubber

Banned
    Filling in nicely. Still pretty dark. Kerry what do you think, you're the FW guy

Any difference in the tank?

Administrator
    Pretty good for 6 new days. May need more light or more hours.

Its is still dark, mine was lighter green so bump up the light as SM suggests but watch out for the burning you are over coming in the middle. You could also wait one more round of cleaning to see what its going to do but I bet you will need more or longer light.
    Also when my water fall got going it had very long algae, its will be interesting to see what the UAS makes in FW when the screen is mature.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

Banned
    Did you end up putting the dot on the diffuser over the blue LED? You only really need one the size of a paper punch hole, as long as you can get it smack in front of that LED.

Now that the screen is mostly cured, I would say it's safe to bump up the photoperiod to power through the dark growth. I think I told you to run it 4-5 hours and split the photoperiod up, not sure if that's where you're at, but bump it up to 8 or 9 hours and no gap in photoperiod.

Actually, I never got around to breaking the light period in two. So currently I am still running 9hrs on 15hrs off daily. Also I have not covered the middle LED but if you think it would be beneficial I will definitely do that.

So the consensus is add an hour? Go 10/day?

If I was getting dark growth that is the approach I would take and then maybe and extra hour the next round if still dark, and so on if it does not burn or yellow anywhere.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

Banned
    Yeah, I would bump it up to 10 or 11 hours/day for the next week. And I would add the dot, but make it small like I mentioned - the size of a paper punch.

So I upped the hours to 10 1/2 hours per day and here is what it looks like after a week. I dont have as much growth on the screen but the removable false bottom had about 1/2" of growth on it and some of that algae was green. I have noticed some brown algae growing in the tank so I'm going to do some more small water changes to get the nitrates down some. I did not clean the screen this time but did clean out the box. Let me know if you think I should change anything. Thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0091.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	3024

Banned
    Hmmmm. Seems like you might need a longer photoperiod. Bump it up to 14 hours/day.

Also, your screen looks like the holes have filled in pretty well. When you scrape it off and rinse it, are more than 1/2 of the holes filled with algae?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information