+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New tank - UAS targeted

New tank - UAS targeted

So my corals have outgrown my ever first saltwater tank and now is time to upgrade. I decided to custom build new 40G glass tank. 90cm x 50cm x 45cm.
    Let it be UAS driven tank decided I and started dreaming. Here I need all help that I can have from you. Please share all your ideas and criticue mine.
    There are first my thoughts :

As you see tank will have back chamber. I have no room for sump so I has to go this route. I tested it with my first tank and could not be more happy with it.
    Good thing about custom built is that all can be arranged exactly to needs. And there most interesting starts. How to predict all that can be best? Hope you will help.

First idea was to make dry chamber in the corner for UAS led lights unit. Sounds good. But it would be much better if it be both sides lighted unit.
    Any ideas how can I materialize that idea ? Keep in mind - all must be inside back chamber. There is no space around tank. It will sit in recess. Only cables will run down the wall.
    Any kind and size of baffles are possible on the other hand.

There is how old tank looks. I plan on same exactly design. New tank will take all table space.
    You can see dosing unit above and ATO container under. Next to ato sits my DIY controller. Those 3 will stay untouched.

Administrator
    Just put another dry compartment on the other side of the UAS screen. Then make a cutout at the top of the UAS screen area so the output flows into the display. To remove bubbles, you can add a down-flow section from that cutout. And the input to the UAS screen area just needs a hole at its bottom to lead to the display.

Be careful... that shelf wasn't made for a tank... a small tank can basically be put anywhere... however a 40 gallon tank, water alone weighs 334 lb.

Just a thought....

SM do you mean that ?

You thing bubbles will circulate water ?

If you are only feeding a cube or two, why try to make the UAS two sided if one sided would work fine and would be compact enough?

I'd flow from the UAS chamber into a second chamber for bubble control and for space to put your heater and ATO float switch, and then from there into the display. If the flow from just the UAS isn't enough, you could include a pump in that chamber.

I'd make sure there is some surface skimming in the flow into the back chamber or you will get accumulation of junk on the surface.

srusso, thanks for warning.
    I calculatedtank brutto weight should be max 200kg . Those 3 vertical boards can hold much more than that. Has good support on both sides as well.

Hi Morgan. Thanks for thoughts. That was what I thought exactly.
    I am using diy float less probes for ATO btw.

Watch the inflows down low. I just lost a big anemone who moved in front of some inflows and got partially sucked in. It happened when I was away for 5 days and it was just a pile of slime when I got back.

I'd suggest a surface overflow. Maybe surface flow into a chamber for any media you might like, then bottom flow into the UAS, then surface flow to a third chamber for heater and ATO switch, then small pump into the tank? Split the UAS chamber in two to slot some LEDs into a dry slot (parallel to the back wall).

Yes - possibly making chamber parallel is way to go (like it is now on old tank (1,5 years lol)).
    There idea of double dry chamber non parallel

I see a problem with skimming surface of scrubber chamber here though.

Administrator
    Looks good. Definitely 2 sided.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information