+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: design ideas for ~500sqin screen setup with LED's

design ideas for ~500sqin screen setup with LED's

I am trying to figure out a design for 500 to 550 square inch screen algae scrubber using LED's as the light source. However, if you can think of a better design using t5's or something I would be interested.

I thought of a huge waterfall style like the ones you see in the store for decoration. I have thought of elaborate UAS using lights around a old aquarium or custom acrylic.

Just seeing if anyone would have suggestions to help spur a good idea/plan for my setup.

I don't have a space constraint because this will go inside a room I am building for wall aquarium setup.

Thanks!

Administrator
    Feeding?

Banned
    Why are you thinking of building one so large? Feeding based guideline is 12 sq in per cube of food per day, so 500/12 = 41 cubes/day, if you have 250W of light on each side.

I would only go LED on one this size. The payback on lamp replacement and energy savings would be no time.

500 gallon NPS tank?

As for feeding guestimated 1/8 - 1/4lb of food a day. It will consist of food cubes, squid, octopus, scallops, shrimp and other meaty foods. The tanks will have tessalata eel, brown banded shark, normal reef fish and corals. I still plan to have a fuge for the reef setup.

I think I will have about 600-700 gallons of water.

Figure a little oversized won't hurt anything.

What does NPS stand for?

I do prefer LED's. I made a small LED setup which works great!

Banned
    Ooooooohhh...just looked at the username. Gotcha. How about 40 L2's LOL

NPS stands for non-photosynthetic

Administrator
    Oversize does hurt... won't growth thick, and and won't filter as well.

Banned
    Oversized only hurts if you're not feeding enough. I would have to calculate the "cubes" involved in 1/8 to 1/4 pound of food per day

Oversized is bad... so glad I asked the question! I will have to come up with an exact weight. I will start weighing how much I feed the fish/eel and figure out how much for the shark.

I am thinking of building an expandable scrubber. Start smaller but as the shark/eel grows I just add more screen/LED's to it with out needing to rebuild it.

40 L2s would do the trick lol.

Sharksmay be a special case. Lots of euria coming off those guys. I would figure a feeding size reduce if needed . I have a friend who started a shark tank1000 gallons and was overwhelmed with the ammonia output. Oversized may be better in this situation . Can always trim it back later.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information