+ Reply to Thread

Thread: LED supplimentation

LED supplimentation

Has anyone added LEDs to the reflector of their 23 watt CFL fixtures? It would act like a heat sink in it's own being a large piece of tin. Was thinking of just adding two or three to it along with the CFL. I know I'll get "Why not just use the LEDs alone?" But I'm just thinking.

So - Why not just use the LEDs alone?

well put kotlec :-)

The CFL might offer a little blue and inspire growth but at that point a blue LED with the reds would be substantially better.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

Okay. I have my answer. Because CFLs are proven growers. Already on set up. The reflector as stated in OP is a heat sink I already own and makes an excellent reflector. For ten bucks I can add more red spectrum without a complete rebuild of my setup.

There is nothing wrong with that, post some pics when you get it done.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

Has anyone done a led cfl combo yet? Sklywag you might have a patent there :-)

Yeah. But I'm a slow mover. I'm sure Floyd with whip one together before I finish typing this post. I did just drain my new setup, and sort of acted like I was going to bring it in the house after running different pump configurations and testing overflow standpipes. Marking plumbing where valves are to be set and making sure it's fail safe during different circumstances. But this week I'm in prevacation mode. Going to Hawaii for 7 days leaving Sunday.

I'd post pictures of it but my wife seems to have the camera.

She came home. It's a 90g. I refinished stand and hood. Not too shabby for my work. I am far from a wood worker. And acrylic is like outerspace to me. My wife just said I should add super to slow mover and to just go get what I need to get it done. I found a place for acrylic and they'll cut to size for $70. I have to glue it together.

Last edited by sklywag; 07-30-2012 at 05:37 PM. Reason: added pics and text.

I suspect you'd have better results putting your money into a T5 conversion if you don't want to splash out for a full LED setup or at least something like a decent heatsink. Your reflectors would need to be pretty substantial bits of aluminum to serve. If they're some kind of plated steel, they won't conduct heat well enough.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information