+ Reply to Thread

Thread: need ideas for 1/2 gallon beta bowl

need ideas for 1/2 gallon beta bowl

I have a beta in a 1/2 gallon bowl and would like some kind of algae or plant scrubber ideas. I have light.

The easiest answer is SMs little hang on, .5 cube, upflow scrubber. That would be way overkill.

There are a couple other things you could do too.

I have this little cube sitting on my desk with a couple snails in it. I put the betta out of my community freshwater tank into that because he suddenly lost all motor control, it was like he was paralized from the gills back, so he was getting blown around in the 30 gallon community tank. Even paralized he lived in that little cube for about a year.

Its pretty easy to do a "deep" sand bed in a beta bowl with no water movement, it only has to be about 1-2" deep of sugar fine sand (that is home depot play sand), so if you do the "deep" sand bed, feed sparingly, have a couple small snails and a few little plants its pretty maintaince free.

I have also have a tank at the office that is set up in a community area, so just about everyone that comes by drops a couple pellets into the tank. That is probably the most overfed betta in existance. It is a 1.5 gallon hex with about the same amount of sand (~1.5") and it also has an ivy plant growing out of it. Many types of ivy can be grown in bowls or cups of water, this was one of those. It started off as about a 6" sprig with like 3 leaves on it, now it is about 8' long and draped up one side of a desk and down the other, I do have to clear out some of the roots sometimes (if I didnt the betta would have no where to swim) but other then that I only top off the tank, I never do water changes.

thanks joel,,,what a great idea! a deep sand bed,,why did i not think of that,,,duh! well the sand is in place,,wish me luck!

Banned
    Do u have areation?.. with no water movement a sand bed is useless.

Why do you think that? And there is always movement in water, especially if there is a light on it.

Administrator
    And if the fish is moving.

well its been a while and the deep sand seems to be working thanks!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information