+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waterfall LED with variable screen.

Waterfall LED with variable screen.

I'm in the process of setting up a 2000lt system and I want to run it with a ATS.

After looking at various designs i'm going to go with LEDs and under drive them inside an acrylic box.

Two LED Panels either side with the LEDs i'm going to be using are:

7 x 3W Red High Power 660NM Plant Grow LED Emitter Light with 20mm Star Base

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3208673897...84.m1497.l2649

2 x 3W Warm White High Power LED Light Emitter 3300K with 20mm Star Heatsink

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3209386961...84.m1497.l2649

1 x 3W Blue High Power LED Light Emitter 455-470NM with 20mm Star Heatsink

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3209386897...84.m1497.l2649

Which will be run by 2 of these:

Constant Current Driver for 7-10pcs 3W High Power LED AC85-265Vto DC20-36V 680mA

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3209369110...84.m1497.l2649

ATS Screen will be encased to reduce evaporation but the LEDs will be cooled via two fans.

I'm going to build it so it can be expanded to meet my needs, I assume once the system is up and running I will be feeding about 10 cubes a day so I need the availability to go to 120"^2, adding in a little extra I've decided on having the availability for a 10"x15" screen and the casing will be built around this with this in mind.

Any views on the LEDs? Anyone used them? I know they are cheap but I thought worth a punt for the price.

I did want to work into the design the ability for the screen to self clean once (I work away for 2 weeks) but i'm going to start with the basic and work my way up there if its possible.

Nothing wrong with these LEDs. Just one thing to wach. I had a batch of 660ters that did not have neutral base. It means one of contact + or - was connected with emitter and thus star heatsink base. I had to attach them to individual heatsinks and fix to plastic frame to electrically separate them.

Hmm that sounds worrying...do you have any pictures?

Did you test it with a multimeter?

On the picture it looks exactly same.
    Multimeter is the right tool to test. You will find that + or - is shorted to heat sink.
    Chinese like to describe it something like " electricaly neutral path" or so when LED is ok.

P.S. I just browsed ebay and didnt found any " neutral path" in led description anymore. May be they stooped producing those and exclude that from description. Just guessing. Be careful anyway.

It's not a massive problem in my ATS build as the led's will be mounted on heatsinks onto acrylic, but I am using some of the UV's in my other LED build and if they are not safe its good to know. What setting would I use on the multimeter to check?

Thanks again.

Usually there is setting for semiconductor testing with sound indication. Use this is you have. If you hear beeep - too bad .

Kotlec the LEDs were fine, but thats for giving me the heads up. Well here's my creation:

Views?

Looks good. Hope works as well as looks or better

The LED wattage seems low for a screen that size.

Why do you say that mate? There is 10 LEDs either side of the screen, and with the aluminium internals it reflects the light back and forth quite well, what would you have recommended for a screen this size?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information