+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Suitable LED Fixture

Suitable LED Fixture

Hi guys,

Just curious if anyone has found any suitable LED units that are simply plug and play? For instance, I can find an 18w 3000k (75w equivelant) LED flood fixture. Would this work on a small 3x4 screen? Just looking for simple options out of the DIY realm. Thanks!

Banned
    LED kelvin does not equal Fluorescent Kelvin. that is only good for human eye perception of light color - it's what LED manufacturers use to market to engineers and architects so they can specify fixtures to replace Fluorescent ad HID lighting in various applications.

for algae you need to match the spectrum: 660nm Deep Red - try Steve's LEDs or Rapid LED.

As for plug-and-play, there are plenty, but don't know if you would want to use them, better off building your own or having someone build a custom one for you.

Are the fixtures that would be suitable for our application the types I have found for around $150 a unit? If so, it would definitely steer me away but if there are any plug and play fixtures for a reasonable amount I'm willing to pay. Any links?

Banned
    well for a 3x4 screen, you only need a couple of 660nm reds, you could even get away with one on each side but I would do two. So with heat sinks, LED, a driver, epoxy, wiring, solder, etc, you would spend less than $150 (including buying a soldering iron) to make 2 fixtures (one for each side) and you would learn something along the way (if you've never done DIY LED before)

Banned
    Also if you belong to a local reef club, and don't want to build it yourself, see if anyone else knows how and will do it for you.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information