+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Looking into ATS

Looking into ATS

Hello,

I'm have been looking into putting in an ATS. I would love to have one running off the drain but I don't know if that would be possible. I just calculated my down flow and it came out to 613 GPH. If I'm shooting for 35 GPH per inch that would be 17" of screen length.

Of course other option is to build an ATS that is pump fed in the sump.

The final option, which may be more difficult, is to have a split drain into the sump where part of the drain goes to the ATS and the rest to the intake of the sump but that would be a lot more complex than I was wanting to do.

The only way to be able to leave the skimmer would be to have a split drain... but from what I understand I wouldn't need a skimmer with the ATS.

How are other people doing the ATS with the drain? Are you just limiting the drain into the sump? I could do that as well as I already have ball valves.

The last reason not to use the drain is that I'm worried about it getting clogged up and then causing the tank to overflow... That has already happened recently and I don't want to go through it again.

Thanks for any thoughts.

your best bet would be to stop using the skimmer,,that would free up space AND power for a nice new pump going to your scrubber!

And a 17" long screen sounds big,,,how tall is it? how much do you feed? I just moved away from a large screen,,,bigger is NOT better with ATS IMO.

Banned
    Why not just use a cheap dedicated pump?

Ok, I've decided to go with a self contained ATS with a dedicated pump.

I have been looking at different pumps. I was thinking of going through Dr Foster and Smith and getting a Maxi-Jet 1100 which is 294 GPH or a Lifeguard Aquatics 1200 Pump which is 296 GPH (I was going to do a 6x4" screen).

Thoughts from those with more experience?

Banned
    I recently bench tested the Cobalt MJ-1200 against the Eheim Compact 1000. Marineland bought out the rights for the original Maxijet, and from what I've read, it's junk. Cobalt made the original Maxi-Jet (available from BRS).

I tested a 6" wide screen with 13" of head from top of water to centerline of slot pipe.

The flow from the Eheim Compact 1000 was right around 200 GPH. The outlet fits a 5/8" ID 3/4" OD hose.

The flow from the Cobalt MJ-1200 was around 180 GPH. The outlet fits a 1/2" ID hose, so I used a small section of that and inserted that into the 5/8" ID hose and put a zip-tie around it to keep it tight.

Not sure about the Lifeguard pump, haven't heard of that one.

Eheim pumps are well known for quiet and cool operation and my test revealed better head pressure / less loss. The MJ-1200 would be good for a top-of-tank scrubber simply because is has suction cups that allow it to be operated with the jet pointing up. But for a sump I would go with the Eheim. You can get it for about $33 from BRS or Marine Depot.

Floyd, thanks for the detailed reply to my post. I think that is the most information someone has given me on a simple question and it is amazing how much of a difference that helps in making a decision. My hats off to you!

Only other question is, what is BRS?

Banned

Thanks for the replies. I order myself an Eheim pump per the recommendation. Hopefully I'll be able to get it early next week and start putting this together. I'm Think I'm going to change my mind and shoot for a 4x6" screen and leave enough room in the pipe that feeds the screen so I can increase it to a 6x6" screen in the future if needed.

Right now I'm only feeding about .5 every other day but sometimes I will feed some flake food on the off days. I feel like I'm not feeding enough as my wrasse really picks on other fish. I would like to be able to increase my feeding without having more of the red turf algae or bryopsis which I currently have.

Should I just move to a 6x6" screen? From what I've seen a lot of people have luck with the larger screens than they do from the smaller ones.

i would say to start small. you can always cut the slot longer,,,its much harder to make the slot shorter!

Just got my Eheim pump in the mail today. Don't think I'm going to be able to do anything until this weekend, but at least it is a start.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information