+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Elagance Coral on RC

Administrator

Elagance Coral on RC

Invite EC over here for answers to his questions. Unfortunately Floyd and Russo, as well as EC and even BeanAnimal, are completely wrong on many of the facts.

Most of Reef Central is against the idea of algae scrubbers. I don't mention them on there any more. I posted one time about scrubbers in a thread how if I had to choose between a skimmer or another piece of equipment what would it be. I posted about scrubbers. I got flamed on big time. Even after I posted pics of my tanks it still didn't matter.

Banned
    Someone got a link so I can see what's been going on please !

Banned
    You have a snowball's chance in hell of seeing EC on this site, IMO.

As I stated in one of my more recent posts on that thread, I don't have the time or wherewithal to make a true effort to get the facts right. I just try to get the general idea right and convey that, and for the ultra-picky, this means I don't know sh-t. So if you want to pick apart my comments (and other's comments) and correct us where we are completely wrong, please do. It would help me understand/remember my mistakes so 1) I can get it right in the future 2) I don't look like an ass.

Administrator
    Well you can start by letting him tell you why a nutricline exits in the ocean. If he cannot explain this to you, he will not be able to understand anything further, including why his own previous scrubbers did not work well.

But still invite him over.

Is that when the plankton blooms?????
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

Banned
    thanks dtyharry. Some of em av got a real problem with scrubbers ain't they. Seems like they are judging present practice on stuff done 20 years ago. Hats off to Floyd, he ain't just giving the basics. Massive dedication Floyd, your a star.

Seems there are two methodologies at opposing ends. On one hand you flush the toilet straight away to remove waste as soon as you go ie bare bottom to allow easy siphoning of detritus before it is eaten by other life and processed by bacterial action into nitrates and phosphates. Skimming and regular flushing of detritus from live rock etc
    On the opposite side you have the toilet unflushed to allow various life forms to consume it and the waste is only removed once it is finally broken down completely to nitrates and phosphates ie the scrubber methodology.
    Which method you use or any combination in between depends I guess on what type of life you want in your display, neither method is right or wrong.

Administrator
    As long as you don't need food for anything, it's fine to filter out.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information