+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new guide lines??

new guide lines??

Ok im new to this but for my experience with algae scrubbers so far it seems to me that more people are having phosphates and nitrates issues with new guide line type scrubbers. Every body i seen that are using the per tank size in gallons scrubbers are not having any issues at all. If the guide lines are correct dont you think it should work everytime. for example in my 150 gallon tank i have a 9x6 screen made for 4 cubes and acording to the guide lines a 23w cfl bulb on each side suppose to work well in my case it didnt and for many more people didnt work either, it seems that you have to add 2 more 23w cfl bulbs to get nice green algae to grow and thats what most people tell you as soon as you post about your scrubber not working. Im not trying to talk crap about the new guide line i just have not seen a scrubber in person with the new guide lines fully stock with great success. the only tanks i seen successfully run by scrubbers has been the one using the old guide lines.

Banned
    I'm with you, I think there's just not enough data to show exactly what works. The waterfall scrubber has a lot of data simply because so many people have tried it that patterns developed which led to refining of the "guidelines".

IMO the UAS does have a separate set of "requirements" that involve water flow past the screen and air flow rates. I just had a fantastic week of growth on mine after making a few mods and will be posting those pics/vids soon.

Administrator
    It indeed might be possible that smaller screens need more wattage per square inch, due to the fact that light has to penetrate thicker growth.

But higher wattage is always recommended anyway.

So should i start over with a new screen using the old guide lines

Banned
    Well, how long have you been running yours under the new guideline?

Screen size?

Lighting?

Are you having problems?

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
    Well, how long have you been running yours under the new guideline?

Screen size?

Lighting?

Are you having problems?
    Yea im having nitrates an phosphates problems. My screen is 9 x 6 and im using 2 12w led bulbs each bulb has 8 red leds and 4 blue leds.

we should compile a list of all the scrubbers that get that nice thick bright green GHA at every cleaning and see what they all have in common. IMO there is some factor that we are overlooking. It is true that some scrubbers built to guidelines do not produce thick GHA,just slime. while others wildly out of proportion produce thick mats of GHA. what gives??

Banned
    illuisii, I just searched through all of your other posts because I seem to recall posting on all of your threads. You really need to take some pics of your scrubber and post them if you are having all of these problems.

You started with 23W CFLs and didn't get the right growth, it was suggested that you switch to higher wattage lamps, but you went with LED floodlights, etc, and many times pics have been requested. There may be something going on that you aren't aware of here that is affecting your growth. Please take and post pics, as many as you need to show your system. DT also.

Quote Originally Posted by greenmachine View Post
    we should compile a list of all the scrubbers that get that nice thick bright green GHA at every cleaning and see what they all have in common. IMO there is some factor that we are overlooking. It is true that some scrubbers built to guidelines do not produce thick GHA,just slime. while others wildly out of proportion produce thick mats of GHA. what gives??
    +1
    Had poor try to do that , but nobody were so kind to join with their findings.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3-1.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	3045
    23w cfl bulbs all i got is this

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	3046
    leds much better growth

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	3047
    leds

Name:	photo 3.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	3048
    leds

Name:	photo 4-1.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	3049
    cyano

Name:	photo 4-3.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	3050
    leds
    I'm getting nice green growth with the leds but still getting cyan and phosphates and nitrates

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information