+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Scrubber Basics?

Scrubber Basics?

One thing in all my reading on this site I have failed to find is an answer to the following;

Is the growing of algae on the screen what uses up the majority of the nutrients? For instance once 7 days have passed and I have a nice growth on the screen and its due for cleaning has the algae reached capacity? Like if you let it keep growing would it stop removing as much of the nutrients? I know I have read about algae thickness doesnt allow the light to penetrate as well but wouldnt the outside layer be adequate? Also, I have read that it will eventually let go of the screen because the roots dont hold up when too much algae is growing but I've seen other pictures on here where there is a ton of algae on the screen. I guess Im trying to judge when the best time to clean my screen is??

Thanks

Administrator
    The more growth the better, until the roots get shaded and die and let go. The time is usually 7 to 14 days, and 2-sided screens can go much longer, thus allowing them to filter better.

santa are you saying that 2 sided screens can go much longer than 7-14 days?

Administrator
    Not much, but they can go longer than 1-sided because the roots stay illuminated longer.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information