+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: no more coraline/something wrong

no more coraline/something wrong

a little history: I have a 45 gallon cube tank lit by 12 cool white cree XPG and 12 royal blue XRE led's all running at full power about a foot above the water with 60 degree optics. I have a basement sump where the only filtration is a 8"x5" ATS lit by two 26 watt CFL and two 17watt led(grow) lamps(new addition). I started using the ATS about 3-4 years ago. Well over the past 2 years I have had some kenya tree coral that took over the entire tank and smothered several corals. A few weeks ago I removed ALL of the kenya. Now that I can see inside my tank again I have noticed that 95% of my coraline is gone! One of my monti caps is bleaching,and I have these strange little nems all over? My ATS algae has been very dark for over a year now. I have never got that thick bright green growth that is see in pics here, but I do think that the ATS is the best thing that ever happened to my system. My water params are this:

ph=8.5
    alk=11
    ca=380
    mag=1400
    sg=1.025--6

Tank inhabitants: Corals, GSP,cabage leather,green toadstool leather,paylays,green branching hammer,atlantic nem,monti caps,long tent nem, trumpet coral,and one ausi sps.

fish: yellow tang,coral beauty,3 clowns,2 damsels,one cardinal.

cuc: one hermit,100 tiny snails,2 big nasser snails

Please feel free to question me,yell at me,or whatever it takes to get my reef back to where it should be! My corals and algae are just not growing like they should be ,,and the lack of coraline scares me! this tank is almost ten years old and I feel it should look better than it does........

Administrator
    First guess is that the leftover/dead kenya are rotting and adding P.

Does coraline was gone fast after you changed something or it was disappearing slowly ?
    What is P ?

santa: I don't think there is anywhere for the dead kenya to BE as I removed 95% of my live rock and my sump is an empty 20g tank,,however there COULD be a tiny amount in the overflow i guess.

kotlec: The coraline has been going south for about a year now ,,I just did not see how bad it was until I removed the kenya tree and could see more rocks,back glass,pumps,ect.

I have NEVER tested for P,,,I was told way back that the kits are useless,are they? how is that hanna meter? Is it possible to have hi P after using a scrubber for this long? P would explain a lot!! thanks guys

p.s. come to think of it,I have never had detectable nitrates,,,,maybe the scrubber cant remove P without nitrate in the system???

Hanna works well on phos.
    I had coraline started growing on new tank. Then at some point it turned backwards like yours did. I noticed only when all it disappeared from back wall completely ! P was under control all that time so puzzle stays unsolved. I believe Garf is close to answer with his experiments. Hope one day we will have answers.

here are some pics of the set-up. maybe a clue here??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	tank pics 018.jpg‎
Views:	246
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	3078   Click image for larger version

Name:	tank pics 020.jpg‎
Views:	239
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	3079   Click image for larger version

Name:	tank pics 024.jpg‎
Views:	241
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	3080  

and the scrubber...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	tank pics 027.jpg‎
Views:	232
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	3081   Click image for larger version

Name:	tank pics 029.jpg‎
Views:	246
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	3082   Click image for larger version

Name:	tank pics 028.jpg‎
Views:	239
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	3083   Click image for larger version

Name:	tank pics 017.jpg‎
Views:	224
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	3084   Click image for larger version

Name:	tank pics 025.jpg‎
Views:	222
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	3085  

Banned
    Hanna Checker Phosphate is very good, just follow the directions (it's the only checker where you have to press and hold the button on one of the steps) and open & pour out the reagent onto a creased index card with before you calibrate so you can add it quickly as it shuts off in 3 minutes, quite a stupid function seeing as you have to invert the vial for 2 minutes after you add the reagent, which gives you less than a minute to open the packet, add it, and wipe your fingerprints off the vial before inserting it and pressing/holding the button.

But all that said, I don't know what I would do without my Hanna Checker, except guess at which color I was supposed to be comparing to. All other P test kits are a joke.

Oh and the Hanna Alk Checker is killer too. Just got that one.

Banned
    Another comment, I re-set up my customer's tank in December and it got a ton of coralline growth in a matter of months, covering the back and side walls. Then P started to rise and I noticed it was receding, it was actually rather thick for a few months, I added a powerhead to the tank and I had to chip some off and it was at least 1mm thick after only 6 months. The highest P reading I had was 0.16, most of the time is was 0.08-0.12. Now it's more or less spotty, but just yesterday the P was down to 0.00 so we'll see if it comes back.

Quote Originally Posted by greenmachine View Post
    I have NEVER tested for P,,,I was told way back that the kits are useless,are they? how is that hanna meter? Is it possible to have hi P after using a scrubber for this long? P would explain a lot!! thanks guys

p.s. come to think of it,I have never had detectable nitrates,,,,maybe the scrubber cant remove P without nitrate in the system???
    If you camp out on this forum enough, you will see that this is probably the most common long-term issue that is encountered, and there seems to be a fair amount of debate as to why and how to fix it. Zero N means P doesn't get absorbed in some cases. Recent discussion on this suggests that different strains of algae absorb N and P rates in different proportions. Clearly this needs research as one could have a tank that is absent of a particular strain, resulting in less affinity for absorption of either N or P, which could affect overall efficiency of the scrubber.

Administrator
    Are those incandescent or CFL bulbs?

Are those pics before cleaning?

this is probably the most common long-term issue that is encountered, and there seems to be a fair amount of debate as to why and how to fix it. Zero N means P doesn't get absorbed in some cases.
    For 3 1/2 years, this was never a problem, and never mentioned. Most tanks went down to 0 and 0.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information