+ Reply to Thread

Thread: overflow for flow?

overflow for flow?

just for kicks I hooked my scrubber up to my overflow drain rather than the big 700GPH pump that it was on before. Some here have told me that 700gph was WAY to much for my 8"x5" screen.

This is just a test. I measured the flow at aprox. 200GPH or one gallon milk jug every 18 sceonds.

what should I expect? The flow "looks" good.......?

That's how I've always fed mine. Without doing a search. 35 gph is/was the minimum. More is/was always better.

Banned
    If you got a rough screen and enough light, more flow is better.

Banned
    More may or may not be better, depending on the situation. 8" screen would mean ~300+ GPH. I would think 700 is too much but 200 might be low. However, the scrubber I first set up was running at 20 GPH/in and it did great (did have some corals that didn't like it and still haven't figured that one out)

Banned
    Thought we had already sorted that one Floyd. More flow, means greater chance of removing metabolic oxygen from the algae, creating healthier algae.

Banned
    Yeah but the tank developed a crack before I could determine if fixing the flow rate over the screen made a difference (I re-plumbed the whole thing to get more GPH, a month later tore the tank down.) So we have figured it out on paper but I still have trouble keeping frogspawns and hammers happy

frogspawn is extremely happy in my tank with yellow screen. Dont know how this is related though...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information