+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Phosphate that won't go away

Garf greetings, my tank is mounted to the year and I have only my ats, with excellent results, a few months ago I made a mistake, which resulted in a huge increase of NO3 and PO4 little

It is certainly what happened Floyd, remember that my tank was always in balance, N 1.1 to 2.2 ppm P 0.02 to 0.06, after the disaster with food, inceased my no3, what surprises me is how slow low, truth is very slow

So I can assume that my limitation is the Po4, continue incrementing with potassium phosphate

regards

Banned
    Don't want to upset anyone here but I think this potassium thing is a red herring, just can't find any scientific data to support it. Yeah, sure there is potassium deficiency in ground soil, but in seawater with a 400ppm?

I cover why I feel it's a potassium limitation in my theory document, I am working on the seventh draft of it and hope its done soon. This weekend should make a big difference.

Banned
    We ask for honesty and appreciate it. Seems that it appears to be working at least in one case. As soon as I get my test kit I will tell you what my levels are at. But if K was fully depleted, you would think other things were going on. Perhaps there is a threshold or a linear relationship that affects this limiting situation. Say if K is half what it should be, P uptake drops propotionally or something like that. Talking out of my rear here.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by srusso View Post
    I cover why I feel it's a potassium limitation in my theory document, I am working on the seventh draft of it and hope its done soon. This weekend should make a big difference.
    Pm me this theory doc please soon as your sorted .

Only have three reagents left! Just placed an order for more, it looked like I had more then I thought in the tiny box... just going to take longer then I have in reagents. When should I test?! I wanna see what it reads, but feel I should wait till tomorrow. Scrubber growth is now green in places that had become brown earlier in the week. Coral growth is great, and I really wanna know what its reading now but I think I should wait till tomorrow, then test again Tuesday, and again on Thursday... hopefully the order is here by next week end...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Garf View Post
    The Redfield ratio states a 16:1 nitrogen to phosphate ratio;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redfield_ratio

But Randy H Farley says something more in the region of 100:1;

Anyone got a reasonable explanation ??
    Found an answer to my own question ;

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15141209/

Banned
    Nice find! Thanks for the link.. very good read. You are on a roll today with good links.

Just got my potassium test kit and ran a test. Very easy test to do and very distinct color change right at the drop mark, no guessing at all. So my test results.... 16 drops which = 340. So my K levels are low. Not sure how much of difference 340 vs 400 makes, but I have a jug of potassium to dose so I can raise it up. I got my phosphate levels down to .13 using lanthanum yesterday and stopped dosing it. Going to test one more time tonight to make sure I get a couple consistent phosphate readings and then I will start dosing potassium and check levels a couple times a day over the next week.

Banned
    One more thing to test.. darn.. and i though a scrubber would kiss the tesying goodbye.

THIS MORNING TEST:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0106.JPG‎
Views:	183
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	3222  

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information