+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Some questions about one-sided scrubbers

Some questions about one-sided scrubbers

Hi, I am planning a 20 gallon all-in-one build which is going to be designed to use an algae scrubber and purigen/carbon/ect... as its primary filtration systems. It is intended to be a mixed reef tank. To keep things simple, I plan to have the scrubber integrated right into the false wall's overflow - so there is no water flow whatsoever behind the screen. Is this a bad thing? Should I use some sort of standoff so that water flows like in a two sided screen?

Also, 35 GPH per inch, does it apply if the non lit side of the scrubber is against a wall? Or can I use less?

Additionally, UAS or no UAS? I don't mind the air pump noise, but all things being equal, what are your opinions on UAS vs. no UAS? I am leaning towards waterfall as it is still more proven and there are less unknowns with it. The way my baffles will be set up it should work both ways depending on waterline settings. Or as a traditional refugium with algae for that matter.

I am planning on using some sort of adjustable dam system to control flow in the ATS and media area.

The pump will be a MJ 1200 or 900 depending on whether I can use less than 35 gph/inch in the waterfall section.

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	AIO ATS.jpg‎
Views:	239
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	3157  

Administrator
    2-sided is always much better, so as to keep the roots illuminated so they keep attached. That's why the 1-sided guidelines are 1/2 as much filtering, even with the same wattage.

Waterfall is more proven. UAS technically should work better because of the carbon delivery and turbulence. But the quality of the design is really most important, and whichever one you can build better will work better.

If waterfall, flow should still be 35.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information