+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ATS Layup?

ATS Layup?

Hi all, New to Algaescrubber.net

I started an ATS in my sump about a month ago and everything has been going well. Primary reason I started one was to reduce water changes (royal PITA!).

I have quickly dropped N down to about 5 ppm from 15 and P from .25 to 0! Wow, that was quick. Plus, calcium coraline is starting to pop and some hitch hiker clove coral is starting to grow back (disappeared for almost a year!). So far, very impressed.

Ok, found out i will be going out of town for a few weeks and will be having someone staying at the house taking care of the tank. Usually I stop the overflow to the sump, shut the skimmer down, and try to keep it basic. I think there are too many variables with water flowing down to a sump and being pumped back up for someone that has never had a SW tank before. i have done this before for a few weeks and just had them feed lightly and top off the tank every other day by hand with my RO/DI. Upon return I do a good water change to remove the extra N and P. Usually its not too bad because I have them feeding very lightly when I am gone.

Obviously I will be shutting down the ATS. I would like to keep the algae going a little on the screen while I was gone. I was think I would submerge the screen in the sump and run the light a little bit each day. Do you think I would run the risk of the screen releasing nutrients back into the water? Do you think it would be easier to pull and the screen and just start over when i get back? Luckily I don't go out of town much... Thanks for any advice.

Administrator
    What you could do is run the current one for two weeks and have them remove it and put it outside until you get back.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information