+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ideas for JBJ 28g scrubber

ideas for JBJ 28g scrubber

Hi All,

I'm just starting up a saltwater JBJ 28g nano-cube CF, just water and gravel at the moment, but planning on reef with a couple small corals, inverts and fish. I really like the idea of using an algae scrubber on it, but I don't want have anything outside the built-in back filter compartment. Here is a pretty good photo of the back chamber from reefbuilders:

http://reefbuilders.com/wp-content/b...g-led-back.jpg

Notice that center chamber where the overflow drains into, the water remains at a fixed height in there near the top by the overflow combs. From reading through this site, a single sided 3x4 UAS placed in this chamber seems like the simplest solution. The main things that concern me with this approach though are: single sided lighting and counter current flow (bubbles going up and water flowing down). Will these two aspects override the simple part and make it more of a nuisance than just trying to pump water out to some external chamber?

I'd also appreciate any other ideas people see for incorporating a scrubber into this tank.

Thanks, Kenneth.

Administrator
    Water level won't matter if you have sufficient bubble flow. But you want to keep the bubbles out of the display.

Ok, I just tested the bubbles in the display issue by hooking up a small air pump and tubing. I just had the open ended tubing bubbling into the center overflow chamber, and no bubbles made their way into the display.

But one thing I noticed is that the air pump has a loud hum (for such a small air pump...), but once the bubbles start up in that chamber, it's very loud. Not sure if I want all that extra noise, but I'm going to have to try it again with an air stone. Maybe the air stones really silence it all.

Hang the pump by its cord. This should make it quieter.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

Administrator
    And smaller bubbles will be quieter.

Just wanted to point out that there is a good posting for an ATS on a JBJ 28g over on the reefcentral Nano forums.
    http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2240746

I'm planning to do about the same thing in my JBJ 28g, but I was thinking to use a 2"x6" (6" running vertical), instead of the 3"x4". Since this screen would be totally submerged in the overflow compartment, would the narrow/vertical screen perform any worse than a wide screen?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information