+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Scrub with cheato?

yes Garf, it's called good husbandry, and yes I have been around this hobby enough to have seen many of the debates that will take place on those links, and what you'll always find is failure is always chalked up to something "not my fault" when in fact short cuts and believing one to be bullet proof is always the problem.

Take care.

Banned
    I always take care, thanks for your concern. Everything I do is researched thoroughly, as some on here may confirm.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Garf View Post
    You'll need good flow to keep it tumbling to expose as much of the cheato to light as possible anyway.
    I used to think that way until I was shown otherwise a few weeks ago. A friend of mine started with a softball size peice of cheato.. stuck it in his 100G sump and forgot about it. No light.. no real flow (certainly not tumbling).. and after 6 months his 100G sump on his 240G display was STUFFED full of healthy green cheato (about the size of 2 LARGE beach balls). Even the bottom of the cheato, 12"+ deep in the sump and never saw any light, was green and healthy. It appears it doesn't need light or flow to grow good, it just needs nutrients. Still, even with that much healthy cheato his tank still crashed, which from his and my personal experience it appears cheato really doesn't do much in terms of helping filtration.

That much cheato just like an unchecked ATS will result in nutrients being released back into the system. Again it's about the husbandry not the magic band aid. You have to harvest both.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthSide Reef View Post
    yes Garf, it's called good husbandry, and yes I have been around this hobby enough to have seen many of the debates that will take place on those links, and what you'll always find is failure is always chalked up to something "not my fault" when in fact short cuts and believing one to be bullet proof is always the problem.

Take care.
    Failure !! Not seen much of that on here. What I don't understand is the claim that Cheato can effectively filter a tank, considering DSB, protein skimmers, waterchanges and Cheato are all employed on the same system in a tank thats just a couple of years old.

Failure !! Not seen much of that on here. What I don't understand is the claim that Cheato can effectively filter a tank, considering DSB, protein skimmers, waterchanges and Cheato are all employed on the same system in a tank thats just a couple of years old.
    I do not understand your militant stance, nor what appears to be an attempt to insinuate I was doing something wrong.

I used a protein, You used a protein skimmer stopped, and then for some reason felt you needed to start again.

I had a DSB, you use a DSB.

I did water changes, You did water changes, and even though you claim my two year sample size is too small you yourself are using a 5 month sample size (the length of time you stopped doing water changes) to proclaim success.

I used cheato to export nutrients (that's what you're doing BTW when you cut huge chunks of cheato out of your system and throw it away. I would think that would have been obvious but I now feel it needs to pointed out to you), you use a ATS to export nutrients.

We ran the same system using different methods, I find your assertion that your way is any better than how I did it appalling considering I showed you my results. It's too bad you're more interested in promoting one idea over another when both methods will work. If you are growing large amounts of cheato, or if you are growing algae on a screen, as long as you are harvesting that growth and removing it you are exporting nutrients out of the system. This is fact not conjecture. Shame on you for derailing a thread to try and prove a point that is already positively irrefutable based on the simple logic of "what is nutrient export?"

Banned
    What a strange response, you've obviously got no idea how to quantify the apparent success of a cheato system. I never suggested DSB, waterchanges, skimming etc was wrong, just that it may have skewed the illusion of success with cheato, as it did with me 8 years ago. I have only ever seen this type of aggressive rubbish once before and that was on RC by EC.

And FYI, I have also re-employed minimal waterchange procedures. It's my tank I am interested in, not one filtration method or methodology.

Banned
    Well Garf it probably did help a bit... If it grew it was taking some nutrients.. but comparing it to an ats is just Ludacris!!!!.. lol

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RkyRickstr View Post
    Well Garf it probably did help a bit... If it grew it was taking some nutrients.. but comparing it to an ats is just Ludacris!!!!.. lol
    Bet SM would like me to be as compliant as EC2 thinks I am.

What a strange response, you've obviously got no idea how to quantify the apparent success of a cheato system. I never suggested DSB, waterchanges, skimming etc was wrong, just that it may have skewed the illusion of success with cheato, as it did with me 8 years ago. I have only ever seen this type of aggressive rubbish once before and that was on RC by EC.

And FYI, I have also re-employed minimal waterchange procedures. It's my tank I am interested in, not one filtration method or methodology.
    So you use all of the methods I did right down to the water changes, and even though I showed a picture of my system with absolutely no algae growth in it the cheato was a non factor. But your system which also looks free of algae owes all of it's success to the ATS. I ran my system for 2+ years. How long have you been running a ATS?

Do you even see how incredibly narrow minded that looks to someone not emotionally invested in one method over the other?

Exporting nutrients whether it be via a ATS or growing macro algae is exporting nutrients. I just don't know how else to say it other than Good Luck. I think anyone reading this with an open mind can see how incredibly closed yours is and this is just a never ending debate considering you are locked on to the notion that only one method works even though you are truly wrong.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information