+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Scrub with cheato?

Banned
    No, my system has never had algae in the display, where on earth did you get that from !?!

Banned
    Northside the diference is that ats has been proven to work with no other filtration. I run an ats and a heater in my sump. I would never dare run chaeto only, ever. The true test woupd be to do actually do that.. and i dont think that you, me or anyone else would dare. Untill chqeto proves to handle all the filtering with no help, it will still be considered suplementary and not efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Garf View Post
    No, my system has never had algae in the display, where on earth did you get that from !?!
    I have no idea what you're talking about, I think you misread something.

Banned
    Ok, let's all take a breath here. People are reading posts too quickly and reacting the wrong way.

The title of this thread is "scrub with cheato" so yes, this does suggest as does Morgan's OP that he was curious of the capability of Chaeto to act as a stand-alone filtration system. It is obvious that this has not been tried. It seems that no one has really tried to push chaeto as a stand-alone method of filtration, rather a part of a more all-encompassing system.

I have to agree with RkyRickstr here though that the ATS has been proven (in hundreds of instances) that it is indeed capable of stand-alone filtration, and when I say that, I mean that in the sense that most people have a fair amount of LR in their DT, and many have some kind of sand bed, if only SSB (<2"). Many of these people perform no water changes. There are arguments on both sides of the fence regarding the need for PWCs.

I do also agree that comparing a stand-alone scrubber to a system than employs multiple forms is not apples to apples. This is a difficult discussion to shed any insight on since to my knowledge no one has tried and tested the filtering capacity of chaeto, or gathered any significant anecdotal evidence.

So maybe we should just all agree that this is a general unknown and leave it at that.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthSide Reef View Post
    I have no idea what you're talking about, I think you misread something.
    Yes, he misread your statement in which you stated there was no algae in his tank.

Banned
    Not really sure how I could misread;

"But your system which also looks free of algae owes all of it's success to the ATS."

I have never claimed this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthSide Reef View Post
    ...But your system which also looks free of algae owes all of it's success to the ATS...
    Not really sure how I could misread;

"But your system which also looks free of algae owes all of it's success to the ATS."

I have never claimed this.
    he said your system was free of algae. He never said it had algae in the display. But I get it now. NSR's statement implies that there was once algae in the display which the scrubber removed. You are saying there never was or has been algae in the display, and therefore your use of the scrubber just is part of an overall system & techniques that you use to keep it that way.

So are we all on the same page now so we can maybe put a halt to the bickering and name calling? Please?

Banned
    Floyd i dont think its unknown.. i ran a 30g full of it. No skimmer (always hated them) and it did NOT eliminate the need for water changes. Did it reduce nitrate and phosphate?.. absolutely. But not enough to eliminate pwcs. Not to mention i could not fit it in my stand.

IME comparing chaeto to ATS is like comparing my companys 25yr old servers to my tablet... Haha.. best i could thi.k of

Banned
    Fair enough RR, you do have one good example.

...and sometimes those 25 yr old servers can still do some things better LOL...

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
    he said your system was free of algae. He never said it had algae in the display. But I get it now. NSR's statement implies that there was once algae in the display which the scrubber removed. You are saying there never was or has been algae in the display, and therefore your use of the scrubber just is part of an overall system & techniques that you use to keep it that way.

So are we all on the same page now so we can maybe put a halt to the bickering and name calling? Please?
    What I was trying to say is that Garf's system was setup exactly the same as mine. Skimmer, DSB, Water changes, nutrient export via algae removal (he uses an ATS I used macro algae)

Neither Display has any algae growth in it. Pretty much the same results. It also appears as though Garf stopped using a skimmer and doing water changes that he obviously found reason to go back to even though on several occasions he pointed at my use of that husbandry as reasoning that nutrient export via macro algae removal was somehow inferior to his method.

Would I use macro algae removal as my only means to maintain my tank? No, I use all of the tools in my tool belt, including the increased water volume to maintain that macro algae. That to me (as in this is my opinion) is responsible reef keeping. If that was the question by the OP I guess it was something I missed myself.

I appreciate your insight into this method of nutrient export, I believe it is a absolutely innovative addition to maintaining our reefs.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information