+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: UAS air flow vs. Water Flow

UAS air flow vs. Water Flow

From reading the results of UAS tests here and comparing them to the waterfall scrubbers it appears that there may be some kind of correlation to the amount of water flow through and over the scrubber and the amount of Nitrate and Phosphate usage by the algae.

Just running bubbles up a scrubber by itself doesn't seem to work as well as water flow????

A smaller tank with a HOG .5 may get enough water flow caused by bubbles, but a larger one may not using the surface area calculations and air flow rules that SM has posted.

Just relying on the air to push the water past the screen as well as the bubbles may not be quite enough.

Obviously you can have quite a bit of water flow if the area is constricted enough - holes at the bottom, going out the top. After all this is the concept that powers undergravel filters and also with air stone driven skimmers.

Would a venturi pumping water into a constricted area - with an air hose attached - going up past and through a screen -and out the top similar to a skimmer work better for larger tanks?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	UAS with pump.JPG‎
Views:	681
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	3347  

Banned
    This, in effect would be an upside down waterfall with bubbles;

http://algaescrubber.net/forums/show...ll=1#post19886

But with less light, and less relative flow. I am pretty sure it'll work though. My waterfall with bubbles does !

That illustration is how my HOB UAS works. I hope to have it replaced with a waterfall type I am building but need to finish it. This might happen today!!
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kerry View Post
    That illustration is how my HOB UAS works. I hope to have it replaced with a waterfall type I am building but need to finish it. This might happen today!!
    Come on Kerry, put some bubbles on the waterfall and give me some more C02 experience to work with, not done my screen any harm.

I thought about making a venturi hole in the supply pipe and see if bubbles in the scrubber supply line makes a difference.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    75G. 20+ Africans
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.

Banned
    I did this for a little while Garf,, I fed it from my Overflow, and for some reason It sucked air and i had bubbles all over the screen 24/7. I can tell you growth was awsome.. however... it always was.. so I can't tell for sure if the bubbles helped or not.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RkyRickstr View Post
    I did this for a little while Garf,, I fed it from my Overflow, and for some reason It sucked air and i had bubbles all over the screen 24/7. I can tell you growth was awsome.. however... it always was.. so I can't tell for sure if the bubbles helped or not.
    Exactly my problem, always had great growth, gonna post some pics on Tuesday of this cycles growth and do a comparison of waterfall section compared to underwater section (where the screen enters the water).

Kerry, I just wedged a rigid airline into the pump intake, the suction provides enough bubbles without an air pump. I also put a cocktail stick in the open end of the airline which acts as a silencer !

Rleahaines - sorry for the thread hijack. Will be good to see what results you get.

I was not going to use an air pump, it will be like yours but about 12" before the screen.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    75G. 20+ Africans
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.

No problem.

I think by optimizing the water flow plus having air bubbles it should create great growth as well as great filtering.

I can see good growth of algae happening in a UAS with the air bubbles, but if the water from the system is not run across the algae enough it may not do as good a job as a waterfall scrubber.

Just looking at all the different parameters here.

Enough air supply to the algae to promote growth and add some carbon

adding additional air by an airstone or through a airline sucking it into a pump.

Light intensity

Using the rules of thumb that have been published here. I am putting together a light source with RED LED's [got them from Steve's LED's] based on what I see people doing here. One sided screen.

Circulation of the water through the scrubber and algae as it grows to get good filtering.

Using a magnum pump. Not just relying on the bubbles from air wand.

Proper size of screen vs. amount of feeding. I plan on a screen about 10 X 5 one sided with mirror on back side. At first I probably will only need to use about half of it so I will block the light on part of it. I tend to overfeed my system so I want a scrubber that will take care of the excess.

I have been using a UAS with good results, but not great ones. Having problems with the P.

When I get it up and running I will take some pictures and post them.

This is exactly what I was trying to achieve by using my old seaclone skimmer for a UAS. The jury is still out on the viability of the unit, but not because of the bubbling which is actually quite good.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information