+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is regular epoxy reef safe ?

Is regular epoxy reef safe ?

Can I use regular 30min 2 part epoxy to glue some sand to tank bottom ? I dont like when powerheads blow sand from bottom glass and I can see it like mirror. Thought may be painting glass with very thin layer of epoxy and pouring some dry aragonite sand will solve problem.
    Othervise I keep very shallow layer of sand, as was frightened by amount of stinky sediment buried in sandbed when was removing it from old tank. Now I keep stronger water movement around bottom, but that causes another disadvantage

thats interesting, I believe it would be reef safe. But that is just my 2 cents.... tagging along!

Banned
    I would think it safer to use RTV silicone and do the same thing. Good idea! Either way, you would want to let it cure for a couple weeks.

Epoxy should be safe, I did some searching on this a while back though and got a mixed-bag of answers. Some saying that you had to make sure that it was free of metal binders, others saying that it's a 2 part reaction, and once the reaction part is done the only thing left behind is completely inert so you're fine. Better safe than sorry though, RTV-108 http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/...alants/rtv108/ is what all aquarium manufacturers use.

109 is grey http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/...alants/rtv109/

103 is black http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/...alants/rtv103/

May be harder to find outside of the US though.

I wish I had 2 weeks of time. My tank front glass is reglued and curing (as it seemed to me it wanted to disintegrate). I asked on RC for minimum silicone curing time and answers were 24 to 48 hours.
    I was thinking about using silicone myself, but remembered that some algae or coraline like to grow in to it somehow. Would not like to get "dirty " look after time. Another concern is that sand particles can escape from silicone layer after brushing and scraping (i like to keep things clean ).

All beauties found new home in ancient temporary tank on the floor in the middle of sons room.

Banned
    Ask 'acrylics' on RC, of any reputable tank builder. 72 hours until water test, 2 weeks to guaranteed reef safe. Other suggestions are 'in a pinch' and with a level of risk.

What for is acrylics in my case ? My tank is glass and glued with silicone.

72 hours OK.
    2 weeks - no way my pets will survive on the floor.

Banned
    That's the user on RC that has been building tanks for 25 years. When you've done it that long you learn about the other sides of the industry also

Banned
    That 48 hour rule is bs.. thats how i killed 1k in coral and fish.

Now i wait untill i cant smell silicone. Most of the time takes a week, then i run ro on it for a week and dump it out. Do not follow the 48hr rule!!!

Okay thanks !

Banned
    72 hours to full bond strength. The acetic acid will continue to leech, and that's industrial strength AA not your 5% vinegar. Your livestock is less at risk on the floor IMO

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information