+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: algea on glass,,lets find out why

algea on glass,,lets find out why

Something has always bothered me about the algae that grows on the glass of all our aquariums. For some reason No matter how powerful the scrubber,,,no matter how large the skimmer,,no matter how clean the water,,,we all still get algae growing on the glass. If you compare the surface of your rough, protected,well lit screen in you ATS to the smooth, clean aquarium glass that has grazers all over it how is it possible? Why does the algae like the glass so much?
    What kind of algae is it? How does it cover and make green a smooth surface in a matter of 3 days? I went on vacation for the long weekend and when I got home I could not see into my tank,,the glass was covered with bright green powder algae. I am not asking how to avoid this algae nor am I asking how to remove it. What I would like is to understand WHAT this algae is and HOW it can grow so fast on such a poor surface. I think we could learn a lot.,..

It grows everywhere I thing. The glass is place where you see it best.
    Just my $0.02

Banned
    Sort of a similar theory from me - it grows anywhere that's not already populated by something else, ie nice clean glass !

Good question greenmachine. I think it's called green dust algae and for some reason this type of free swimming algae has the ability to avoid plants, rocks and everything else except for the glass, but as for why, I haven't a clue!

Could it be because the main ingredient of glass is sand and the sand contains silica?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm2012 View Post
    Could it be because the main ingredient of glass is sand and the sand contains silica?
    On the face of it makes sense, but generally, diatoms uptake silica not green algae, so it should be brown. Also, I've got a silica deep sand bed and there's not a trace of green or brown on it, and never has been.

Quote Originally Posted by Garf View Post
    On the face of it makes sense, but generally, diatoms uptake silica not green algae, so it should be brown. Also, I've got a silica deep sand bed and there's not a trace of green or brown on it, and never has been.
    Hmmm good point

Banned
    Left my tank for 4 weeks without any glass cleaning as an experiment in August and I got this;

I dont thing any live creature can consume silica out of glass. Its should be bond forever. Not many pro grade acids can react with glass.

Nice results Garf !!!

Quote Originally Posted by kotlec View Post
    I dont thing any live creature can consume silica out of glass. Its should be bond forever. Not many pro grade acids can react with glass.

Nice results Garf !!!
    No I didn't mean it consumes it, I just thought maybe it attracted it some how. But I know that's not the reason after Garf's point

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information