+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How is your sump setup?

Banned
    Sump on my 75G (55G tank). I use red/blue LEDs now, picture is old when I first started using white LEDs. First 2 chambers have a Koralia3 powerhead in them so stuff doesn't settle.

Sump on my 60G (20G tall tank)

I like that 55g sump setup Ace. Purpose-made ATS sump!

Banned
    Guys on the subject of gunk on the sump... Wouldnt you rather have it there where you can see it and syphon it?.. Cus really by having a powerehead there you are just making the debris settle somewhere else.

Thoughts?

Banned
    Hard to suck out stuff from the sump when it is on the floor. Also, where else would it settle, besides in the skimmer? Display has an MP40 and a 1400GPH closed loop on a 30x24x24 tank, almost pushing 100x turnover on the display if you count the return pump. Sand doesn't even stay put in the display so I hardly worry about other stuff settling. I try and make it so there is no place for anything to settle on my 75G. Also, most of the stuff that settles in the sump is considered "reef snow" which is food for corals.

I like seeing set ups. Just as enteresting as displays to me. Keep them coming. I'll post some of my new one tomorrow. Here's my current. ATS and return pump. Has some rock in it because it won't fit in display. Storing it there until I set up new tank.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace25 View Post
    Hard to suck out stuff from the sump when it is on the floor. Also, where else would it settle, besides in the skimmer? Display has an MP40 and a 1400GPH closed loop on a 30x24x24 tank, almost pushing 100x turnover on the display if you count the return pump. Sand doesn't even stay put in the display so I hardly worry about other stuff settling. I try and make it so there is no place for anything to settle on my 75G. Also, most of the stuff that settles in the sump is considered "reef snow" which is food for corals.

Most of us dont run a skimmer. I ran an mp40 on my 60cube, if i moved it a few inches, creating a new flow pattern, stuff inmediately came out.

Which makes me think if there is always gonna be reef snow in the tank why worry about the bit in the sump right?

Banned
    Heres my sump now. Will replace ghetto scrubber with L2 from Bud hopefully next week.

Here's the new one.

It's a twenty long and I put a 5 gallon ATO section in it on the right side. I need to figure lights for it and drag it inside. One side can handle a spot light the left is a little tight trying to maximise space. An LED (flat)fixture would work.

here is mine ,,now wide open
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	scrubber pics 048.jpg‎
Views:	279
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	3374  

It all depends on the sump style. When I had my 20 gallon sump I didnt get any crap on the bottom due to the design. It was design so the water go under the first baffle then trought the top of the second one (only two baffle in between all the chambers ) what this do is force the water flow to the bottom and it never gives the stuff a chance to settle.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information