+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New to ATS, need some info.....

Banned
    No need for lenses/optics. If you look at the first link (and the cheapest, plus it is the 3w star mounted LED you want), it states •Viewing Angle: 120°-140°, so no need for additional lenses. First link is ideal, second link is 'unmounted' LEDs, much harder to work with, 3rd link is 1w, but as you see, they cost more than the first link.

Kool, will do that.....

At 2" no lens needed

Haha I always miss second page and keep answering 1st page topics.
    Last edited by kotlec; 10-23-2012 at 12:22 PM. Reason: lol

ok,the size of scrubber will be 10"x5". so how many leds? water flow will be between 1200-1500lph, is that ok?

Hey guys check this: http://www.chucksaddiction.com/The%2...0Aquarium.html

I have a Big Top filter box can i use it? or is this design not good?

Quote Originally Posted by nanomania View Post
    Hey guys check this: http://www.chucksaddiction.com/The%2...0Aquarium.html

I have a Big Top filter box can i use it? or is this design not good?
    Outdated and inefficient. Waterfalls are best if you can, and uas are great when you can't incorporate a waterfall.

ok... thanks...

the biggest algae issue in my tank is green turf algae (very hard and not being able to remove pulling it)and some kinda red macro type algae... HA has gone from DT (got some in the sump though)... hope ATS helps me get rid of green turf and red........

Banned
    Does the Algae look like this? This was a really bad problem algae I had.. took quite a while to figure out exactly what I needed to 'take it out'.

My solution, after trying a dozen different suggestions, was Mexican Turbo snails. It has to be a specific type of turbo snail, the type that has a green/black striped shell.

Correct Snail

Wrong snail (also called a Mexican Turbo snail)

Isn't that a Nerite?

Banned
    I can understand why you would think that because it is hard to tell size in the pictures, they do have similar zebra stripe patterns on the shell.. the difference is nerites are small, dime size, and the ones I am talking about get to grow to baseball size, GIANTS. Even the 'small' ones are usually around golf ball size.

I tried many different types of snails and crabs, even the 'bad' mexican turbo snail that didn't eat it. Not even a sailfin tang would touch it. After months of fighting it I found the right snail for the job. The OP may not have the same algae issue I had, this is more of a general statement for oddball algae issues. Just keep searching for the right cleanup crew if you have an odd/stubborn type of algae, there is usually something in the hobby that will eat the specific problem, but sometimes it can take a little while to find it.

Mexican Turbo Snail GIS search

Picture for size reference, snail in picture is not the correct one for the red algae in the above picture.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information