+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: what do you guys think about this working with an algae scrubber

I emailed the parent company and received this, however I have not contacted them yet to get pricing.

Stuart Chamberlain from TWC in Australia gave me your email information as you were enquiring about the product.
    We are located in Dallas, Texas and currently have stock of the TWC product.
    How can I help?

Kind Regards,

Talei Dunne
    Universal Rocks LLC
    825 Shepherd Drive
    Garland, TX 75042
    Ph: 972-412-7179
    Fax: 972-526-0137

Email: talei@universalrocks.com
    Web: www.universalrocks.com

So there are bacteria locked up in this wax block that are eating organics from the water column, where is their waste going? Where do the bacteria go when they die? Is all their waste and their death products trapped within the wax block, so you just replace it to export the nutrients?

If you guys want I can ask my local fish store to see if they can ship it to you guys or I can buy it and send it to ya.

Banned
    That would work, see what versions they carry. I was thinking of the 400g block for that cichlid tank.

I would have to agree with Kaskiles that there has to be a by-product. Do these magical oil eating demon bacteria evaporate after consuming all the nutrients?

Regardless its worth trying

Banned
    It would seen to me that this is on par with bio-pellets or something...when they tested them on "reef tanks" I wonder what other filtration was being used.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
    It would seen to me that this is on par with bio-pellets or something...when they tested them on "reef tanks" I wonder what other filtration was being used.
    I think the good Dr sums it up in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=_lMaAQwyV-M

Banned
    I still think this product is the same as Waste Away. Only difference is this is in a solid form, but it still seems to contain the correct bacteria strains for removing built up waste in the tank. Waste Away seems to have similar bacteria but you just dump it in the water where as this product seems to contain a food source for the bacteria that is impregnated in the media. Since there isn't really any info on this product it is a big guessing game, but just from the little that is known, it seems it may have the potential to work much better than Waste Away because I think with Waste Away it is a '1 use' type of product.. you dump it in, bacteria does its job in a few days, tank is clean, bacteria dies off, end of product use, where as this product seems to be more of a slow release method which in theory should work better and much longer.

Bio-pellets are only the food source for bacteria, and they rely on the bacteria in your tank to use the food and multiply, but the biggest problem with that is by using something like bio-pellets, you are just expanding the current bacteria population in your tank, which may or may not be the good type of bacteria you want to grow. This can be seen from the many bio-pellet run tanks that don't work out as expected and they get huge cyano outbreaks when using bio-pellets, and that is because cyano is a bacteria (typically seen as a bad type of bacteria in our hobby, but good for the planet). If you have a majority of 'bad' bacteria in the tank vs the good type, and then you toss in an external food source, the bacteria that has the strongest foothold is usually the strain that out competes all others when bio-pellets are used. The flip side is the success stories from people that use bio-pellets, and my theory is their tanks already had a majority of good bacteria when they started using them which is why it works great for some people, and ends in disaster for others.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
    In their video they said they only use the cleanser with no other filtration

Hmm...

At the end of their FAQ, they have this:

Diseases
    My aquarium has gone pink?
    If you have an existing disease in your tank, when you place The Water Cleanser in the tank, it will go pink usually in 24 hours.
    Solution- fully clean your tank. Change all of the water and wash and dry the rocks, filters, hoses even the Water Cleanser. (Do Not put The Water Cleanser in direct sun light, unless it is in water as “it will melt”.
    Put the Water Cleanser and the fish back in and the problem should not come back.

I don't mind things being simplified for me, but come on... Really?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information