+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What company makes the best Algae Scrubber?

Banned
    There's always DIY. You ain't got to buy a top of the range bit of kit like Floyds.

Quote Originally Posted by xenon View Post
    I am shocked by the shipping cost to Canada for the Turbo Aquatics L2. $100-120 via USPS? It does not cost more than $40.00 for sure.

I own an online pet supply company that ships from Ohio. I know how much it costs to ship to Canada and Turbo Aquatics is price gouging Canadians.
    OK try and make an acrylic scrubber your self and see how long it takes you. Bud put plenty of hours on making this scrubbers and im willing to bet if you match the money by the hrs he puts on each scrubber the price will be a lot more than you think.

Banned
    Step 1, buy or 'rent' time on a CNC milling machine like he does.. then come back and tell me how much they cost to make. Are they expensive, sure, is the cost justified by him explaining the R&D, manufacturing process, parts, and labor... absolutely.

It's not some half ass design he just threw together and picked any old thing to make it with. Bud took the time through trial and error making somthing that works. Then the milling of the parts and acrylic gluing. Which is an art form as far as I'm concerned as I can't do it without gettig my hand smeared in the acrylic. And looking for the best and brightest LEDs that are not just some eBay cheap ass ones. Not to mention the design that is right up there with the santamonica 100! And then packaged like a tank to make sure it don't break on its way to you. It's not a bag of dog food! It's an acrylic box that can shatter and then You end up with a pissed off customer. I think the price is more than justified. If you use the sm100 as an example, his prices are right there the need to be! It's the saltwater hobby. You gotta pay to play. Especially for quality and asthetics. If you don't want to the freshwater hobby is a nice alternative for the money minded.

Banned
    Syn - "It's not some half ass design he just threw together and picked any old thing to make it with"

You been lookin at my build thread ain't ya

Banned
    So ... what I am reading is you have 4 free employees at home that you are not putting to work building scrubbers? LOL. Just trying to lighten the mood.

Banned
    Floyd - surprised you replied to the lazy comment because anyone who has done any homework whatsoever will know how much time and effort you put in to betterment of this filtration method.

Ace - well your just Ace, hope you never change.

Now that you guys chased away a potential scrubber. You treated him like they(skimmers) do when we try to chime in on a better method of filtering. We need to be a kinder gentler reefer.

Banned
    Don't think he's a potential scrubber. Could think of some less savoury phrases.

Banned
    Well I can't fault my customers for defending me - I have discovered my errors along the way and done what I can to fix them, like replacing 30 slot pipes that were cut too narrow and now I'm replacing inferior pumps with better ones, all at my cost...I think I pretty much have it down now though.

I am finding that people's results do vary quite a bit. Every system is different, but hopefully a few ideas I intend to implement on my site will help pinpoint why.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information