+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: B.S.

I don't think you can just dissolve it in acid and test. There are some acid, heat, persulfate and/or UV digestion procedures that are used to do some conversion to measurable N and P; but I think those are more appropriate for a college/prof laboratory than a home.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kaskiles View Post
    I don't think you can just dissolve it in acid and test. There are some acid, heat, persulfate and/or UV digestion procedures that are used to do some conversion to measurable N and P; but I think those are more appropriate for a college/prof laboratory than a home.
    Thanks Kaskiles, thought it may have to be a job for someone with a white coat.

On another note, found this

http://www.nitrifying-bioreactor.com...20WJMB2009.pdf

Banned
    Nitrifying bacteria are classified as obligate chemo-lithotrophs. This simply means that they must use inorganic salts as an energy source, and generally cannot utilize organic materials. They must oxidize ammonia and nitrites for their energy, and fix inorganic carbon dioxide (CO2) to fulfill their carbon requirements. They are largely non-motile and must colonize surfaces such as gravel, sand or synthetic bio-media, for optimum growth. They secrete a sticky, slime matrix, which they use to attach themselves.
    Is anyone using a low range ammonia test?

Banned
    Observations 12 nov 2012;
    1) no skimming is taking place. Not a concern at the moment because I can never get this V2 to skim until the screen is on its second week of growth (today is day 5 of a new cycle)
    2) sump pH 8.1, skimmer body pH 8.00
    3) got lots of tiny particulates in the display. Researched some stuff on nitrifying bacteria amino acid, nitrogen and phos content and it seems like a very nutritional food source for things that will eat it. My black brittle star loves the bigger bits.

Banned
    Got major pH discrepancies. It's all over the show, especially when the ATS lights come on. Don't know if it's electromagnetic interference with the probe (wiring). Don't think DIY generation in a bottle, is the way to go. Buggar.

Edit - found out that one of my cfl bulbs had blown. Not sure how this affected the probe, but since I've replaced the bulb, no fluctuations.

Banned

Administrator
    Dino's.

Banned
    Skimable ? There not brown as they look on the pic, more white.

Administrator
    Anything organic you can see should be skimmable.

Banned
    Here is a screen that's been underneath my ATS screen (UAS like). It's been receiving flow and bubbles for a week in the sump lit by the same light that running my ATS. Does this suggest the UAS users should keep their pH up Or the importance of vigorous circulation? Green dino's pic;

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information