+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: B.S.

Banned
    Dino's for breakfast, lunch and tea, lovely;

Nice, It looks like it is working!

Banned
    Bit of an update. Stopped dosing Co2 as the dino growth seemed to stop in the skimmer, but started to grow in the sump. As soon as I let the pH normalise, the dino growth stopped and it was promptly eaten by Asterina stars. I'm not beaten yet though. From what I'm learning about the scrubber, the lower pH may have liberated excess DOC, indirectly encouraging dino growth.

Since starting the phosphate precipitation test, it seems to me that running the scrubber at too high pH actually removed DOC instead of a net production. I also saw small dark cyano or dino (no indicative bubble production though) patches deleloping in the sump, just in the few days without screen aeration. Upon implementation of aeration the cyano/dino's vanished.

One benefit so far. The screen inside the skimmer looks like it improves skimmer efficiency, as it produces skimmate much more consistently now.

Next job is to chock the skimmer full of mesh material to increase surface area, run it at normalised pH, and make sure the scrubber grows at max efficiency (aerated, pH controlled to 8.2ish).

A bit of reading if your bored;

http://drs.nio.org/drs/bitstream/226...iah_chap03.pdf

Banned
    I think this test may be back on. I'm pretty sure now that the dino growth in the skimmer mesh was related directly to the amount of organics given off by the algae screen (indirectly affected by the CO2 additions to the screen).Now I'm running the screen thinner, it seems as though lots of organics are being given off and should in my mind grow the slimy stuff again.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information