+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Production within dense mats of the filamentous macroalga Chaetomorpha

Administrator

Production within dense mats of the filamentous macroalga Chaetomorpha

"Production within dense mats of the filamentous macroalga Chaetomorpha linum in relation to light and nutrient availability"

http://algaescrubber.net/ChaetoStudy.pdf

or

https://web.archive.org/web/20190501...4/m134p207.pdf

This is a good study, because chaeto is familiar, and because some people consider putting it in a refugium instead of using a scrubber.

Fig 5B shows how, under bright light, chaeto productivity (filtering) drops 72 percent with just 2 cm of chaeto thickness.

Also, speaking of how far light will travel through algae, there is this: "in phytoplankton communities, chlorophyll densities may range from 0.2 to 0.4 in productive lakes to 0.00015 g chl A m3 in oceanic waters". This means that lakes can have 1000 times the density of phyto.
    Last edited by SantaMonica; 12-25-2016 at 07:11 PM.

Banned
    Think I,m gonna give this lighting schedule a go and see what happens. Instead of running lights 18hrs a day, this only equates to 12hrs a day, and at 107watts this may give a decent saving if the growth is similar to what I get now.

Garf please let me know what kind of results you see with this, I'm giving it a go as well.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by data_loss View Post
    Garf please let me know what kind of results you see with this, I'm giving it a go as well.
    No problem, started it today so well see if there's a difference after a bit of acclimatisation I should have thought.

Edit - my timer won't let me do this at present so it's back to the normal schedule for me, sorry.
    Last edited by Garf; 11-14-2012 at 02:25 PM.

Interesting were testing me, and I decided to change the light cycle. I'll have two periods of ON and one OFF after 4 hours.
    For a week I have set up the lighting in the four-hour cycle.
    On 20:00 to 24:00,
    OFF 24:00 to 4:00,
    ON 4:00 to 8:00.
    Based on the results should give algae researchers at night twice a stimulus to growth, so theoretically double the weight gain.
    I wonder if is confirmed?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information