+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Recommend test kits - Your Suggestions

Recommend test kits - Your Suggestions

Which test kits would you recommend for checking all the different parameters of our reef tanks. Could some of the veterans out here point me in the right direction. Or better still maybe we could poll out which test kit works best for different parameters and how they have fared.
    NooB in all respects on first salt water endeavor. Hope my flair for adventure does not kill anything.
    Hardware: 6x2x2.5 ft DIY Tank; LED lights; 5 section sump; 2x 350 gph Pumps; 2x 350 gph wave makers; 4in Coral sand bed.
    Live stock: 250 Lbs Live rock; 200 Lbs Coral Sand; 6x Yellow tail damsel; 1x Pink BT Anemone; 2x Carrot Anemone

I use all Salifert, except phosphates - HANNA checker.

Banned
    Same here, Salifert for everything except phosphates, hanna meter for that. The only Salifert test that I don't think is that great for accuracy is Alkalinity, I seem to have more accuracy using API (cheap) test kits for that one parameter.

The Hanna Checker Alk gets very good reviews. The Ca is junk thou so don't bother. I have both and still use and like Hanna for ALK.
    For Ca I have been using API with one of the larger Salifiert test cups. I then just mix in one hand while I'm adding drops with the other. Very fast and easy. I have read of clubs doing test kit shootouts and API Reads a little hi is all. The moment the it starts to go purple stop. It is reading very close at that point.

Does the API phosphate kit work at all? I have been using one and it seems to show phosphate going down but I'm not sure if the readings are even close to accurate.

Phosphate test can be good to check on tendency , but final figures you only can get by using more sophisticated ways. HANNA checker is cheapest.

Banned
    Salifert for all but Hanna for Phosphate and Alkalinity.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information