+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Critique my scrubber

Quote Originally Posted by MorganAtlanta View Post
    Use black plastic instead of clear saranwrap. I just cut a piece from a black garbage bag. You don't want growth on the part of the screen that wraps around, so the plastic should cover down to where the wrapping part is sewn to the hanging part.
    Ok, I will make that change. I also moved the lights down to a better angle.

For the time being if the saranwrap runs the length of the screen is that going to inhibit algae growth? Or I saw a picture where another person used duct tape.

Quote Originally Posted by krz View Post
    ... is that going to inhibit algae growth?.
    It might. You only need it down to where the screens come together to keep the splashing down.

Quote Originally Posted by MorganAtlanta View Post
    It might. You only need it down to where the screens come together to keep the splashing down.
    Made a few changes last night.

I cut the plastic wrap so it doesn't cover the screen, just the top part before it comes together.

I also turned down the flow since it seemed to be spraying everywhere, maybe the holes are too small or jagged? It still sheets down continuously though and appears to be more uniform, not sure what the flow rate is now though.

I moved the lights down lower to get a better angle on the screen.

Here are some updated pictures from last night. It has been I guess 5 days now and not much growth at all. Just trace amounts of light brown. Not sure if my lights are too close? Flow was too high?

Two 23w CFL floods 2700K lit lit for 18 hours a day (7PM-1PM) on a 6inch screen.

Side One

Side Two

If you still have spraying, make your holes larger and/or add more. You need to slow the velocity of the flow. Also, switch to black plastic soon or you are going to get algae in places you don't want it.

Day 7. I took these pictures with my iPhone. At least in my opinion it looked more brown in real life but, staring at those CFL's really did a number on my eyes.

I did take some pieces of hair algae and rub them onto my screen but, only a few. Looks like more may have grown. Haven't cleaned it yet.

So does this growth amount/growth color indicating anything about my flow rate/light intensity/lighting period/nutrient level?

Last time I tested a few days ago nitrates were up probably around 40ish maybe a little higher, API kits are hard to decipher at the high end.

I'm getting some pretty good growth on the floor of my sump too. doh!

Administrator
    Let it go at least to 14 days. Maybe to 21.

11/20

A couple days later. I believe this is Day 9. Seems to be growing more on the bottom part of the screen.

I also started another one for my other system. 90gal. Put a piece of algae from the other screen onto this one. Same size screen and same wattage/spectrum except this time I'm using a Par38. Wonder if that will give the light a little better focus.

11/23 Day 12

Should I clean just one side? Or leave it till it hits the 21 day mark?

It looks black on camera but, it looks more like a dark green to me in real life.

I finally got around to putting the black garbage bag over top.

Side1:

Side2:

Banned
    Just noticed you have been told to leave it 21 days ! That's great growth BTW. You'll need to clean it all off now. When it gets a bit more established you may want to try cleaning one side at a time;
    http://algaescrubber.net/forums/show...ll=1#post27198

Administrator
    Yep looks too dark to go any longer. 21 days would be a max with 20 mm bright green growth.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information