+ Reply to Thread

Thread: scrubber and going skimmerless

scrubber and going skimmerless

Hi, short introduction. I have a 88 US gallon system, with a custom built double sided 10" x 8" overflow scrubber into a sump section. I have 30w of led power either side. (8x660nm and 2 x royal blue per side). I have been running a tunze 9011 skimmer for about 4-5 months, since i set the system up, and getting fairly good growth. As i have designed the section from scrubber to sump with any baffles, just a large hole, i have been getting a fair few micro bubbles, and have designed a bubble box for the return pump. over-under-under. This has improved, but not much, and the MP40w isnt very subtle at hiding them. I have decided to get rid of the skimmer, as this was contributing somewhat to the bubbles, and although this has greatly reduced the amount, there are still a few too many and it is ruining the look of my display tank. I have been all over looking for leaks in the return feed, and it is not that, so i must look at ways to create more baffles from the remaining acrylic.

My question is:
    1: is there a guide to oxygenation that these things produce. Obviously a skimmer can give you an idea of the size tank it is adequate for and so the livestock it can support, but i have not seen one for a scrubber, and dont want my fish to go belly up all of a sudden.

2: will creating enough baffles where practical, solve my microbubble problem eventually? filter floss and foam are not the answer and get clogged up every day.

Any opinions welcome
    Thanks

Administrator
    Scrubber systems never run out of oxygen. I've not heard of even one time. Photosynthesis put far more oxygen into the water than bubbles do.

Under-Over-Under baffles work well. The down part should be narrow, and the up part should be wide.

Is your screen long enough to be touching your water? I let mine hang in the water about an inch or so. Ultra quiet and no bubbles big enough to make to display without any baffles in sump. Never an issue of not enough O.

Yeah, have a bit more than an inch below the waterline, but it still rushes down and creates some bubbles. The flow is what's recommended, but still get them. I will look into adding an under at the start I think. Thanks

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information