+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HOG.5 on a Pico

HOG.5 on a Pico

I put one of the hob.5's into service in a pico about ten days ago. Not much growth yet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00038.jpg‎
Views:	543
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	3497   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20121029_175810.jpg‎
Views:	519
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	3498  

Administrator
    First thing is to get the bubbles going. There is only a single bubble in the pic. Probably needs a bigger pump.

After than, keeping the lights on for 8 hours a day would be a good start.

Maybe, but I think that is more due to my photo technique. I am using a whisper 20 and there seems to be a good stream of bubbles, but just out of one hole.

Administrator
    Here is an average amount of bubbles:

Administrator
    Ok the video you emailed me shows a few bubbles per second, coming out of the one hole near the middle. So the screen still should have some growth at least near the middle by now.

1. How many hours do you have your timer set for? The screen looks like it has never been turned off.

2. Did you move the screen back so it stays against the black tray? That is how they are positioned now, to keep them away from the light. If the screen stays touching the glass it will be too close to the light.

3. As for bubbles, what is the bump in the middle where all the bubbles are coming from?

4. Did you add holes to the other side of the tray that does not have them? Trays now have three holes on each side, to allow more water to flow by the screen. When a HOG.5 scrubber is set at the top water surface like your is, the holes on the side are the only way for water to circulate.

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
    Ok the video you emailed me shows a few bubbles per second, coming out of the one hole near the middle. So the screen still should have some growth at least near the middle by now.

1. How many hours do you have your timer set for? The screen looks like it has never been turned off.

2. Did you move the screen back so it stays against the black tray? That is how they are positioned now, to keep them away from the light. If the screen stays touching the glass it will be too close to the light.

3. As for bubbles, what is the bump in the middle where all the bubbles are coming from?

4. Did you add holes to the other side of the tray that does not have them? Trays now have three holes on each side, to allow more water to flow by the screen. When a HOG.5 scrubber is set at the top water surface like your is, the holes on the side are the only way for water to circulate.

1: 8hrs
    2: Yes, but it is not totally flat
    3: slice in the vinyl tube as received. I tried to change the position as directed in the instructions, but it doesn't change the flow of bubbles.
    4: No. I'll try that, but what do you mean they are "now" like that? I just ordered mine and received it 10 days ago.

Administrator
    Yes the extra holes are just now being added. As long as you don't mind the extra red light, the more holes, the better, in your application. If you had it farther down in a deeper tank, you might not need them.

Strange about the tube... I look at every one before boxing it, and make sure all the segment can be tucked down. If you can't get one segment tucked under another, then just superglue that section closed and the remaining segement will take over. Try to get bubbles coming out of at least 3 or 4 places.

After the holes and the tubing, let it run for 14 days; I think this will fix it. Ironically, once thick growth starts, it does not really matter what shape the screen is or how many places the bubble are; it just goes crazy.

Oh well, just melted the screen trying to heat it to bend it flat against back. Doh! I guess that's it for this test.

Administrator
    Just glue it to the tray; it does not matter what shape it's in, once it is covered in growth you don't even see the screen.

Once you get it going, if you still want a perfect screen I'll send you a new one to glue in.

Its not as bad as I first thought. I took your suggestion and crazy glued the tube to force more bubbles out of the other holes. There's still a bit of a gap in the screen, but we'll see how it goes. I have some heavy fiberglass mesh at work, the kind used in synthetic plaster. I wonder if that could be used? Look up Dryvit.com and panzer 20oz mesh if you want to see what I'm talking about.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information